The effort is complicated, and there is a significant risk of falling. The lift chair will help make it easier by merely assisting the user to stand up. How does it work? What are the criteria for making the right choice? We explain everything you need to know about the lift chair.
What is a lift chair?
It is an armchair of comfort and relaxation, which one uses to be well-installed when one wishes to watch the TV, to read a book, or to sit comfortably. It has 1 or 2 electric motors, and it will help a weak person to get up, but also to sit down without dropping suddenly.
The lift chair can be manual or electric. The first requires a little effort, while the second has a remote control that can actuate electric cylinders, which will, in turn, lift the seat of the chair. It limits the effort when you get up, and some models even take us to the standing position.
When you want to sit down, you position the chair in the up position, press against the backrest and activate the control to go down smoothly, and sit comfortably. Very often, the chair will be equipped with a footrest that raises or lowers as we please, and some models also offer a massage function.
The lift chair, for whom?
The lift chair is obviously for people who have trouble getting up. So we think of some seniors, the elderly, and also some people with disabilities, reducing their ability to move.
It must still be noted that this type of chair is primarily a convenience tool, and it is not a question of a medical device such as an elevator or a stander. Therefore, the user is not stigmatized, and absolutely everyone can use the chair. Even at age 25, after a festive evening, we will enjoy finding the comfort of his chair and being helped a little to get up.
The different types of lift chairs
There are two families of lift chair: The manual lift chair, and the electric lift chair. Here are the differences between each model.
The manual lift chair
- On this type of chair, we move from a sitting position to standing by pushing on the armrests, as if we were standing alone, but the seat pushes us slightly to facilitate our effort. A cylinder system reacts when the user removes some of its weight from the chair, and then the seat pushes on the buttocks so as not to have to force too much, neither on the arms nor on the legs.
- The help is less than with an electric wheelchair but sufficient for many seniors who still maintain a particular strength and a little dynamism. We appreciate this system because it forces the body to some effort all the same, which is always a good thing.
- The manual lift chair is not likely to fail, it does not connect to a socket, and it is less bulky than an electric lift chair. We will be able to move from one room to another quickly when necessary.
The electric lift chair
- Here, there is a real lifting system. The entire chairlifts to allow the user to find himself immediately, without the slightest effort, in a standing position, or almost. Even a frail person gets up alone, regaining autonomy and real comfort of life.
- The main advantage is not having to make an effort to get up. Generally, the electric wheelchair can be adjusted to different positions, with a footrest that rises and a backrest that tilts at different angles to a semi-recumbent position.
- It is a real accessory of relaxation and comfort, where you feel good and where you can spend time. The adjustments are made to our liking, almost “tailor-made,” whatever the size or the morphology of the person who enters the chair.
- We can note that it said some disadvantages to this type of device. The first is the fact that an electric lift chair is bulky. It requires an absolute amplitude to deploy ultimately or get up, and therefore, it should not be too close to the walls. In a small room, it’s not always easy.
- It works with a plug, and so a cable always hangs on the ground, careful not to put it in the passage, it could trip the user, it is not the goal.
How does a lift chair work
You will observe the different positions:
- The first sequence shows you that at the touch of one of the buttons on the remote control, the backrest moves down. The main characteristic of a two-motor lift chair, the backrest is independent.
- The second sequence, the leg lifts to offer you a relaxed position, ideal for napping and sleeping peacefully! All this by pressing a single key!
- In the third sequence, simultaneously pressing the two left keys on the remote control, the lift chair returns to a sitting position. Pressure on one of the keys, and here it is that helps you to get up … it is the position reliever!
- In the fourth sequence, you will observe the ease and ergonomics of the remote control and its storage pocket. This pocket can also be used to slip your journals!
- The fifth sequence is the release of our “Artist” because no, it is not sold with!