Today we will learn how a voltage regulator works and what uses we can give to this useful electronic device. All appliances at homework with electricity and there is always the possibility of voltage overload. This risk can be avoided with a voltage regulator — an apparatus that can vary the output voltage. We tell you how a voltage regulator works and also what advantages it gives you to have one in your home.
The voltage regulator is a system for making or maintaining a stable voltage. It is used for electronic circuitry that requires energy, which does not vary. A voltage regulator usually consists of a set of elements, such as resistors, diodes as well as transistors. One can also find the regulator of the integrated type.
How does a voltage regulator work
- The primary function of a voltage regulator is to ensure a constant voltage supply, expanding or reducing as desired. These standard electronic components guarantee the durability of electrical and electronic devices.
- These devices consist of various functions, such as:
- A passive voltage regulator is used when the voltage that arrives is higher than what the other elements of the system need. It is formed by a resistance that reduces the voltage to the appropriate level and reduces the energy transforming it into heat. This is easily solved by adding a heatsink to the assembly.
- When the voltage needs to be increased, we will need an active voltage regulator. This element uses a re-feeding loop to improve the voltage to obtain a satisfactory output current.
- The network regulators also serve to control the high voltage variations in AC lines, for example, in the electrical sequence of the house. The device has several “taps” that control the circuit. Depending on the voltage of the assembly, the device chooses between several of these “taps,” always providing the indicated voltage.
- Finally, this system reduces the slight fluctuations present in alternating current circuits.
- They are used to keep constant the voltage that feeds the appliances that we use at home. They consist of a servomechanism that varies the voltage to keep the output voltage constant.
- The best way to keep your electronic devices in perfect condition is to use a device that includes each function of a voltage regulator that we explained earlier. That way, you will have greater security.
- A voltage regulator makes it possible to produce a fixed constant voltage for an output current or a load. When it leaves, the voltage is fixed. It can also be readjusted. It can be negative or positive. A voltage regulator scheme provides a better understanding of the system. The regulator is an element equipped with three terminals. The different voltage regulators
There are two kinds of regulators: the fixed output voltage regulator, and the variable output voltage regulator. Some are mainly intended for jobs, rather specific. They are robust, inexpensive, and reliable. Among the most used are the 78XX and 78LXX series. These are positive fixed regulators. Variable controllers can be used as fixed regulators. However, they are a bit more expensive.
- The switching regulator offers superior performance and fewer losses. Professionals much use it and much less by individuals. To achieve a power supply with this type of regulator, it is quite complicated.
- It keeps constant, the output voltage. The results obtained are better with the regulation function than with the stabilization function, although the latter is sometimes sufficient. The integrated controller offers the possibility to get the control function with a single element, whether the output voltage is positive or negative. These circuits are protected, in case of overheating and in case of short circuits, thanks to the limitation of current, which is automatic.
Tips and useful info
It should be noted that switching power supply is preferred over linear power supply because it is very compact and lighter, and its output is significantly higher than the linear power supply. To choose a voltage regulator, the DC output voltage, the maximum power supplied, the price, and the mounting must be taken into account, depending on its performance capabilities.