Switching to a refurbished smartphone doesn’t always come to mind. However, it is possible to acquire a good quality device. However, the risk of stumbling upon a faulty phone is just as real. An overview is needed to make a safe purchase and acquire a reconditioned smartphone at the best price.
How to Buy a Refurbished Phone?
Differentiate a refurbished smartphone from a used smartphone
It is important first to emphasize that a used smartphone is not a refurbished smartphone. Indeed, a second-hand smartphone has generally been used for a certain time by its owner before being resold in a certain state of wear.
Unlike, a refurbished smartphone goes through an authorized center to undergo tests and repairs if necessary. The different control points can be located at:
- of the screen ;
- of buttons ;
- the image sensors ;
- of the battery ;
- of speakers ;
- the microphone ;
- the vibrator ;
- of the array antenna ;
- of WiFi.
Following these careful examinations carried out by a qualified technician, the smartphone is reset to its factory settings. It is then packaged in a standard box with a compatible USB cable and a new charger.
Thus, the price of a refurbished smartphone is justified by this refurbishment and also differentiates it from a used smartphone.
Buy from a recognized site or store.
To acquire a refurbished smartphone with complete peace of mind, you have to choose the channel through which the acquisition will be made.
It is possible to find them on classified ad platforms such as ” Vivastreet ” or ” Leboncoin. “ However, you should be on your guard by respecting the safety advice put forward on these sites:
- Be wary of quality items offered at abnormal prices, such as an iPhone X advertised at 200 dollars instead of 710 dollars;
- Avoid disclosing your banking information by phone, email, or by filling out any online form;
- Avoid clicking on fraudulent links supposed to lead to a financial institution site such as a bank or Paypal among others;
- Categorically refuse any transaction that goes through Western Union or Mandat Cash ;
- Prioritize the transaction, and hand delivery own starting to meet the seller.
To avoid falling into a scam, it is just as prudent to buy a refurbished smartphone on specialized sites or major brands such as:
- Amazon, a site specializing in electronic commerce;
- Fnac, a chain of stores dedicated to online commerce;
- Auchan, a large distribution company;
- Back Market, a site dedicated especially to the sale of refurbished products;
- Asgoodasnew or Rebuy, companies dedicated to the repurchase, repackaging, and sale of reconditioned products.
These platforms indirectly put consumers in touch with factories specializing in reconditioning, or they themselves own a factory. If the newly acquired product has a problem, it is possible to contact dedicated customer service for personalized assistance. In all cases, these sites give the possibility of exercising the right of withdrawal within a period of 14 days from the date of receipt of the device.
Refer to grade, often a guarantee of quality
In general, the grade of a refurbished smartphone reflects its condition. Reputable sites often use this system to assess the degree of wear of the smartphone.
About Back Market specifically, 5 grades make it possible to identify the state of the refurbished smartphones offered:
- The “ Stallone ” grade corresponds to a terminal which may present traces of impact or visible scratches on the shell and/or on the screen;
- The “ Bronze ” grade qualifies a smartphone that has light scratches that are not necessarily annoying for everyday use;
- The “ Silver ” grade is a product whose screen has been replaced by a new one but whose shell may have visible micro-scratches ;
- The “ Gold ” grade relates to phones with a new screen and a shell with micro-scratches that are invisible to more than 20 cm;
- The “ Shiny ” grade represents a product comparable to a new device, fully functional.
Large retailers such as Auchan use grades A +, A, and B to qualify their refurbished smartphones. These grades range from an excellent quality product to another, which shows traces of scratches and/or impact.
Give preference to sites offering maximum guarantees.
The company’s seriousness has carried out the reconditioning is confirmed by the duration of the guarantee it offers. Indeed, a refurbished smartphone is supposed to have a lifespan close to that of a new device. When a smartphone has been reconditioned by its manufacturer or a third party company that it recognizes, it is more expensive since the warranty is more extensive compared to that of any reconditioner. It is therefore recommended to turn to recognized reconditioning factories.
Generally, it is possible to find a variable guarantee depending on the offers offered:
- Amazon Renewed offers a 1-year warranty on its refurbished Apple smartphones with new or reused Apple components;
- Back Market offers a standard 1-year warranty, extendable up to 24 months upon payment of 3.99 dollars/month;
- Asgoodasnew exclusively offers a 30-month warranty that applies to all its devices and covering all technical faults.
Pay attention to consumer reviews.
To reduce the risk of stumbling upon an unreliable refurbished smartphone, you should look at the discussion forums to consult consumers’ opinions about the dedicated site. Testimonials from online buyers are also available on reference portals such as TrustPilot or Verified-Reviews. With particular regard to TrustPilot:
- Back Market fared with a score of 8.6 / 10 based on 3,834 reviews;
- Asgoodasnew obtains a score of 8.7 / 10 based on 345 reviews;
- Rebuy has a score of 6.8 / 10 out of 834 reviews.
These ratings and reviews can serve as a benchmark to assess the risks to consider before purchasing a refurbished smartphone. Note that not all satisfied consumers after making a purchase leave comments on these sites, unlike consumers who have had bad experiences.