When we wake up in the morning, we take a look at the window, and what do we see? Dirt! If we haven’t cleaned up for a while, it’s healthy; the window panes are all dirty.
How then to clean them? To have a clean window, shining without leaving traces, we can use several cleaning techniques. Here are some effective tips for cleaning grime off windows in the house.
1. Clean heavily soiled windows with white vinegar
Vinegar is a miracle product for everything related to household maintenance. White vinegar is an excellent degreaser and easily removes soap residue. It is therefore very useful in cleaning car windows and house windows.
To wash heavily soiled windows with vinegar:
- Mix 250 milliliters of white vinegar with 750 milliliters of hot water.
- Then soak a cloth in this solution and clean your window as usual.
For filthy and clogged glass, add a little baking soda to the cloth soaked in water and white vinegar—ideal for removing stubborn stains from glass.
2. Water and ammonia for washing filthy windows
Ammonia, combined with water, also acts as a powerful stain remover and degreaser. However, once the windows have been washed, they should be rinsed and wiped dry to avoid cleaning traces.
So to use ammonia to wash the windows, it suffices to mix half a glass of the product with a liter of water. In the end, beautifully clean windows without traces. You can also use this water and ammonia trick to remove stubborn stains from glasses and mirrors.
3. Newsprint for streak-free windows
Despite your best efforts, are there still traces of cleaning on your windows? Wipe them down with the newspaper! And yes, the newspaper is a little cleaning trick well kept by our grandmothers for washing windows.
- Crumple a sheet of newspaper to give it a softer texture.
- Then dampen the newspaper with a little lukewarm water and wash your windows.
The newsprint should do a great job of cleaning your home windows and mirrors, but also car windows.
4. Glycerin and water from heavily soiled windows
Soak a cloth with water and a few drops of glycerin. It is an effective solution for removing stains and dirt from your window without leaving any marks on it once cleaning is complete. Also, the glycerin will prevent dust from sticking to the windows.
Alternatively, you could rub your windows with an old nylon pantyhose that you have poured a few drops of glycerin on.
5. Rubbing alcohol and soap for cleaning dirty windows
This trick is to be used for filthy windows. In a bucket, mix:
- 4 liters of water
- ¼ cup of liquid dish soap
- ¼ cup of rubbing alcohol
Rub the glass with a soft cloth moistened with this solution. Stains, dirt, and paint rarely resist this cleaning solution.
6. How do I clean dirty windows with a squeegee?
A rubber squeegee is a handy tool for washing the windows of the house but also for cleaning the shower glass. Put a little dishwashing liquid in hot water, and apply this cleaning liquid to the window using a sponge. Finally, use the rubber squeegee to remove the stains.
Note that you must rinse with water at the end of the work, then wipe off so as not to leave traces on the windows.
7. The trick for cleaning windows and windows: A microfiber cloth
The microfiber cloth is an excellent tip for cleaning your windows without leaving any marks. Indeed, it is often the rags and other pieces of fabric made of large fibers that leave marks on the windows.
To avoid these traces on the windows, it is better to equip yourself with a microfiber cloth.
8. Electric window cleaner
The electric window cleaning machine is also a means that offers excellent results. There are different types of glass cleaners:
- The electric window cleaner is a wireless device made up of 3 elements: a squeegee, a suction system, and a tank that collects dirty water.
- The steam cleaner, which for its part, projects steam to loosen dirt. The result will be better if you use an electric window cleaner afterward.
Provided you know how to use them well, electric window cleaners leave no trace, and you don’t get tired!
9. Cleaning dirty windows with ash
To give shine to your glass and windows, wash them with ash and a damp cloth. This is a cleaning tip that should remove all the stubborn stains from your windows quickly.
Of course, you must then rinse and clean your windows again with another of our cleaning tips. Indeed the ash is a trick to dislodge stubborn stains only.
10. Methylated spirit for washing filthy windows
For all types of glass, you can roll the newspaper into a tampon, soak it in rubbing alcohol, and then rub the glass with it.
Of course, you can also use a simple cloth soaked in methylated spirits to wash and remove stains from glass.
11. How to make a cleaning paste for windows?
Here’s how to clean greasy windows with a homemade cleaning paste:
- 1/3 Spanish white
- 1/3 water
- 1/3 methylated spirits
Mix the ingredients well. Once the paste is dry, rub the glass with a towel or cloth. An excellent tip for deep cleaning car windows and house windows.
Some other tips for cleaning windows
Whether it is for the windows of a house or other types of objects or glass furniture in the house, there are effective cleaning tips. Here are our tips to help you clean your windows properly:
- Do not clean the window glass on sunny days: If you wash your windows when it is bright, the latter will dry out the cleaning products used too quickly, and this will leave marks on your windows.
- First, remove the dust from the windows: Before cleaning a window, no matter which one, you must always eliminate the dust first.
- Wash the window frames first: If you wash your window glass, always clean the window frames first.
- Clean the exterior windows before the interior windows: First, wash your exterior windows using up and down and left to right movements. Then clean the inside glass of the windows, always from top to bottom and from left to right.