You have brought out your most beautiful tablecloth for your dinner with friends. But now, at the end of the meal, the pretty embroidered tablecloth is smudged with stains of wine, wax, or even grease marks. Do not panic. Here are some tips for detaching your tablecloth quickly, once your guests are gone!
1. Quickly sponge a damp stain on a tablecloth
Have you spilled wine, coffee, tea, juice, or any other liquid on your tablecloth? Immediately apply absorbent paper to it, and let it soak in the liquid without rubbing. Repeat as necessary to absorb the wine well.
This should always be the first step before cleaning, before doing the other cleaning tips and tricks suggested on this page. Of course, if you want to remove a stain of red wine encrusted, dry or worse already washed better try our other tips.
2. Scrape a dry spot on a tablecloth
If a stain has had time to dry and form a crust on the cotton tablecloth, start by scraping the stain, using a spoon or a knife with a rounded tip.
Warning: take it easy when you scratch to avoid damaging the fabric of your tablecloth.
3. Marseille soap to remove a stain on a tablecloth
Before putting your tablecloth in the laundry, always start by cleaning the stain with a cleaning product such as Marseille soap.
- Gently rub the stain with Marseille soap, to form a crust.
- Leave on for 30 to 60 minutes, then emulsify.
- Once the stain is gone, wash your tablecloth in the washing machine.
4. How to remove an oily or oily stain on a tablecloth?
To effectively remove a greasy stain from a tablecloth, and while it is still damp, sprinkle it with talc or flour. Let the powdery material absorb the fat, then clean the stain with a mild soap such as Marseille soap.
So whether it’s a butter stain or worse, a vegetable oil stain starts by testing this trick to remove the grease stain on the tablecloth quickly.
5. How to remove a stain of red wine on a tablecloth?
If you spilled red wine or grape juice on your tablecloth, you must act quickly if you want to prevent the stain from permeating.
- Start by absorbing the excess liquid with paper towels, without rubbing.
- Then sprinkle talcum powder, salt or flour on the stain, which is still wet, and let it absorb again.
- Then dust off the solid residue, and wet the stain with sparkling mineral water.
How to remove a stain of white wine on a tablecloth?
Has White wine left a stain on your tablecloth? Soak it in pure white vinegar and leave to act for 1 hour. Then wash as usual. For a dry or recent wine stain or a red or white wine stain, the addition of sommières earth is the ideal trick.
7. How do I remove a wax stain from a tablecloth?
During a romantic supper, did the candles let the wax drip on your tablecloth? Here are the steps to quickly remove a wax stain from a tablecloth:
- First, wait until the wax has hardened.
- Then, scrape off the excess with a spoon or a knife with a rounded tip.
- Then apply on the talc stain and several layers of absorbent paper. Run a hot iron over the paper until it absorbs the remaining wax.
- Repeat with clean paper until the wax stain has completely disappeared from the tablecloth.
The next time you are going to have a romantic dinner with your sweetheart or candlelight.
8. How do I remove a yellow stain on a tablecloth?
To remove an old yellowed stain on a white tablecloth, simply.
- Make a paste with baking soda and a little water.
- Apply the paste on the yellow spot
- Leave to act for at least 1 hour, then wash as usual in the washing machine.
If the stain is still there, start again but adding fresh lemon juice instead of water, to make your cleansing paste. It will be even more effective in removing yellow and old stains from a tablecloth.
9. How to remove a stain of sauce on a tablecloth?
To remove a stain of sauce on a tablecloth, just apply warm glycerin and leave to act for a few minutes before washing as usual, by hand or in the washing machine.
Alternatively, you could also use ammonia. To do this, gently dab the stain with a cloth dampened with ammonia.
10. How do I remove a rust stain on a tablecloth?
To remove a rust stain on a cotton tablecloth or plastic tablecloth, you will need lemon juice, salt and washing powder.
- Mix the juice and salt and apply it to the stain.
- Then barely wet your powder detergent and use it to scrub the stain.
- Rinse the tablecloth, then wash as usual.
11. How to remove an old stain encrusted on a tablecloth?
Despite all your efforts, spots persist on your beautiful white cotton tablecloth? Here is how to remove this old and encrusted stain:
- Moisten the stains with a little water, and rub them gently with powdered dishwasher soap.
- Leave on for 15 minutes, then place your tablecloth in a sink and pour hot water over it.
- Leave to act for another 1 hour, then wash the tablecloth in the washing machine.
12. How do I remove an ink stain on a tablecloth?
To remove an ink stain from a tablecloth, mix 90% alcohol and white vinegar in equal parts. Rub gently with a clean cloth, then rinse.
If the ink stain is old and has already been cleaned in the washing machine, it may be difficult or even impossible to clean thoroughly. Hence the importance of quickly cleaning stains on a tablecloth as soon as you notice it!
13. How to bleach a tablecloth?
Have your tablecloth and cloth napkins turned yellow over time? Here are some tips to restore the whiteness of yesteryear to a tablecloth:
- Soda crystals: In the washing machine, add 125 milliliters of soda crystals to your laundry. Your linens will come out whiter than white.
- Lemon: You don’t have soda crystals, or prefer a natural whitener? Lemon juice will have this effect. Just add the juice of a lemon to your laundry.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Wash your tablecloth in hot water in the washing machine, and when rinsing, add a glass of hydrogen peroxide at 30%.
- Milk: to whiten a tablecloth, let it soak in the sink with milk for at least 1 hour. Then wash as usual.