A properly functioning wood fireplace is a great luxury to have during the coldest winter months, and a high selling point if you are in the market to buy or sell. But with a wood fireplace, comes a lot of responsibility.
To keep your fireplace operating properly, proper cleaning and maintenance must be your priority. And to keep your furnace looking new, it is essential to clean the glass of the insert regularly. There are a few basic methods for cleaning soot from your home’s glass. Here are our tips and tricks for cleaning the glass of the insert.
1. Clean the fireplace insert glass naturally
A nifty and natural way to clean the glass in your fireplace is to use a newspaper or paper towel and ash from the fireplace or woodstove. To do this:
- Take a damp paper towel or a sheet of newspaper and sprinkle it with ash.
- Rub the glass with a circular motion to loosen the stuck soot.
- Repeat several times, or until the soot is completely removed.
- Finish with a regular glass cleaner and a paper towel so as not to leave marks on the insert glass.
2. A natural tip for cleaning the glass of the insert
For a natural cleaning of the glass of the insertion of a fireplace:
- Sprinkle clay stone on a damp sponge and rub the glass of the insert with a circular motion.
- When the soot has come off, wipe it off with a clean, dry cloth.
- Wash the insert glass with a paper towel and a glass and window cleaner to finish.
3. A homemade solution to clean the glass of the insert
Another effective way to clean the glass of the very dirty insert of your fireplace or woodstove is to use pure white vinegar combined with ammonia.
Make a homemade cleaning solution by mixing:
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 3 cups warm water
- One tablespoon of ammonia
Pour everything into a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the glass of the insert and leave to act for 30 seconds. With a clean cloth, rub in a circular motion until the soot comes off.
Repeat 2 or 3 times until the glass of the insert is clean.
4. Clean the glass of a wood stove with white vinegar
To clean the glass of your wood stove or fireplace as naturally as possible:
- Soak a sponge or newspaper with pure white vinegar.
- Rub the glass of the insert until the soot is removed.
If the glass of the insert is filthy, sprinkle a little fine salt on your sponge soaked in vinegar, and rub. Rinse thoroughly to remove any residue.
5. The soda crystals to clean the glass of the insert
Soda crystals can also be used to clean a filthy insert glass. To do this,
- Sprinkle soda crystals on a sponge soaked in hot water.
- Rub in circular motions until the soot loosens from the insert.
Remember to wear gloves to protect your hands.
6. Clean the glass of the insert with lemon juice
Fresh lemon juice can also be used to wash the insert glass of a wood stove or fireplace.
Just squeeze the juice and filter it, then soak it in a sponge or newspaper, and scrub until the soot peels off the glass.
7. Clean the insert glass in the dishwasher
If the glass in your fireplace insert is not too large and you can remove it, wash it in the dishwasher at low temperature.
It would be wise to use a delicate cycle to be sure not to damage the glass of the insert.
8. Baking soda to clean the glass of the insert
To naturally clean the insert glass of your wood stove:
- Spray a skin of water on the glass and sprinkle with baking soda.
- Rub with a sponge soaked in white vinegar.
- Rinse thoroughly with a damp cloth to remove traces of bicarbonate.
9. Liquid dish soap for the insert glass
Why not just use liquid dish soap to clean it all up?
- Put one or two drops of liquid dish soap on a damp cloth and rub in circular motions.
- Leave to act for a few minutes, then scrape with a squeegee.
- Rinse and wipe to finish cleaning stains.
10. A steam cleaner for the glass of the insert
If you have a steam cleaner at home, you can use it to clean the glass of your fireplace insert or your wood stove.
This is probably the quickest and most useful tip for cleaning up dirty things.
11. A house cleaner for the fireplace insert glass
Here is a homemade insert glass cleaner recipe:
- Two tablespoons of white Meudon
- One spoonful of ammonia
- One spoonful of methylated spirits
- A little white vinegar
- 2 to 3 drops of liquid dish soap
- Water to supplement
Mix the ingredients well and apply the solution to the glass of the insert while rubbing. Leave on for a few minutes, then rinse and dry.
12. Oven cleaners to wash the insert glass
The same products that you use to clean your oven glass can be used to wash your fireplace insert glass.
Just follow the directions on the product and you should get good results.
13. Products to clean the glass of the insert
You will find on the market products specifically designed to clean the glass of the insert of fireplaces and wood stoves.
Of course, these products are chemical, but they are generally very effective in cleaning the glass of the insert, which is very dirty.