When you have white clothes, you have to be aware that very quickly they can get dirty and turn yellow with time or with poor maintenance.
Food, dirt, paint, liquid stains, yellow stains, gray stains… Here are all of our tips and tricks for cleaning white clothes.
1. How to machine wash your white laundry
If you are not used to washing white clothes in the washing machine then here is what I suggest to you before cleaning white clothes:
- Wash normally in empty, hot water, and especially without clothing.
- Add antibacterial detergent or a little bleach to the vacuum wash.
- Thoroughly clean the entire interior of the bowl, the door contour, and the edges.
What temperature to wash a white garment?
Now that the washing machine is clean and cleaned, you can start washing the white with hot water (hot water at 60° C) and with a detergent specially designed for white clothes.
2. Vinegar to wash a stained white garment
For a stained white garment, like a t-shirt, for example, you can detach it with white vinegar.
- Add equal parts of water and white vinegar to a sink or a bowl.
- Immerse the white garment in the mixture and leave to act for several minutes.
- Rinse and finish washing the machine white.
If the stain persists after leaving the water and vinegar mixture, rub the stain with Marseille soap before machine finishing.
3. Perspiration stain on a white garment
Perspiration stains are very common but of course, they are much more visible on a white garment than a dark-colored t-shirt for example.
Here’s how to clean a sweat stain from white clothing:
- Fill the sink or the bottom of the bath with very cold water and add 1 cup of liquid dish soap.
- Soak the white garment and leave to act for a good hour.
- Rinse the garment and the sweat stain should be completely gone.
This trick is very effective in restoring shine and whiteness to a garment.
4. Clean white clothes with yeast
A really handy trick to recovering white clothes is yeast. Yes yes, yeast!
- Add 2 tablespoons of commercial yeast to the laundry.
- Machine wash in cold water.
This trick will bleach white clothes and remove the grayish and yellowish tint from white.
5. Baking soda to whiten clothes
To clean and even bleach a white garment, baking soda is a very interesting product to test.
Relatively easy, here’s how:
- Boil water and add 5 or 6 teaspoons of baking soda to it.
- Let cool and add the white laundry you want to bleach.
- Remove the laundry and go to the washing machine to finish cleaning.
6. Soda crystals in the laundry
Another handy trick to washing white clothes in the machine is to add a little soda to your laundry.
So for whiter clothes here is what to do:
- Pour about 125 ml of soda crystals in each of your loads.
- Put your white clothes in the machine on the normal cycle.
You will quickly see a difference in your white clothes which will be whiter and brighter thanks to this tip.
7. Use lemon to clean gray and yellow laundry
Lemon has a very effective stain-removing power against yellow and gray stains on white clothes.
Here’s how to detach the greyness with lemon:
- Fill a bowl or the bottom of the kitchen sink with water and lemon juice.
- Soak the white laundry until the grayish or yellowish stains disappear.
- Rinse and wash white laundry in a normal washing machine.
For stubborn stains on the collar or under the armpits, you can rub them with pure lemon juice or directly with half a lemon.
8. Soak white clothes in milk
Do you know the trick of milk? Indeed, milk is a natural product that can be used to restore white to your clothes.
I don’t really like a waste, especially food waste, but this trick is still very effective for bleaching white laundry. Simply soak white clothes in a milk bath so that they are whiter and shinier.
8. How to bleach a silk garment?
Do you have a white silk garment at home that you want to clean or rather whiten? Hydrogen peroxide is The solution!
- Mix hot water and hydrogen peroxide in a basin or sink.
- Soak your silk garments for 1 to 2 hours.
- Rinse well and dry the garment on a rack.
In the end, your silk garment will be well cleaned and above all very white.