Wooden furniture is always gorgeous, and it is essential to take care of it. Several kinds of wood exist, and depending on the type of wood, different products can be chosen to clean them thoroughly. How to take care of wooden furniture? Curiosity Insight invites you to discover the best tips, tricks, and products for cleaning, maintaining, and care of wooden furniture.
1. Clean wooden furniture with black soap
To clean raw wood furniture:
- Using liquid black soap
- Add hot water in equal quantity
- Use a soft bristle brush to clean rough wood. (or a soft cloth)
- Rinse thoroughly with a damp cloth at the end to finish cleaning
Be careful to use only a brush with soft bristles or a microfiber cloth so as not to scratch your wooden furniture, whether it is a chair, a table, or other furniture.
2. Product for maintaining and cleaning wooden furniture
A wooden piece of furniture, whether old or not, requires maintenance to keep the wood looking beautiful. In addition to cleaning the surface of the wooden furniture well, you must, therefore, take care of it over time.
3. Bleach to clean the wood
If your furniture is made of raw wood, such as pine, oak, or cherry, you can clean it with a quackgrass brush and a little bleach.
Rub the dirty wooden furniture vigorously to make it look nice and clean. This is a homemade recipe for raw wood only, not to be used on stained or colored wood or worse on antique wood furniture !!!
Warning! We advise you to opt for this trick on a wooden piece of furniture that is not very valuable so as not to risk damaging it with bleach.
Using bleach to bleach and lighten wood
You can also use bleach as a product to bleach wood. Add an equal amount of water and bleach and vigorously scrub the wood surface to be bleached with a brush. But be careful always to wear gloves to protect your hands from this bleach solution, which can be harmful if it comes into contact with the skin.
4. Grandma’s recipe with baking soda
If you like to try home remedies, here is another one made with lemon and baking soda. This tip is ideal for adequately cleaning gilded and dirty wood furniture.
- Cut a lemon in half
- Pass the cut piece of lemon on the dirty wooden cabinet
- Mix some lukewarm water with baking soda
- Then wipe with a cloth lightly dipped in this mixture
Very useful for washing filthy wooden furniture with stubborn stains. Be careful with the baking soda, however, which can slightly scratch the surface of the wood.
Soda crystals to clean dirty wood
Similar to baking soda, soda crystals are also very useful in cleaning heavily soiled wood furniture. So here is another grandmother’s recipe to try at home.
- Just mix a little lukewarm water and soda crystals.
- Wipe the dirty and stained wooden surface with a sponge
- Use a dry, soft cloth to finish cleaning the wood.
Your wooden furniture will quickly regain its beauty with this trick. Of course, you have to be careful because this homemade mixture can slightly scratch the surface of the wood, so be careful, you have been warned!
5. Clean a wooden cabinet with white vinegar
Do you have a varnished wooden cabinet that is particularly stained and soiled? White vinegar can be an excellent trick to clean this varnished wooden cabinet. Here’s how to do it:
- Pour a few drops of white vinegar on a small cloth
- Rub the wood surface with the fabric and vinegar
- You must then wipe quickly with another cloth to remove the vinegar from the wood.
As with bleach, it is essential to wipe quickly afterward to remove the vinegar so as not to discolor the wood or even damage the varnish.
6. A cleaning spray for furniture and woodwork
If you have the environment at heart, here is an ecological and quality cleaning spray to effectively clean wooden furniture as well as woodwork.
This cleaning product is useful for cleaning, protecting but also for polishing different types of wood. You can use this product on waxed wood or varnished wood without a problem.
7. Tea for a wooden cabinet
How to clean wooden furniture with tea? It might sound odd as a grandma’s trick, but it works pretty well.
- Brew the tea of your choice
- Let the tea cool (several minutes)
- Take a small cloth and soak it in the cold tea
- Then rub your varnished wooden furniture for quick and efficient cleaning
- Polish the surface with a dry, soft cloth to finish
A grandma’s recipe that works well on different types of furniture and varnished wood surfaces. You will be surprised!
8. Ammonia and turpentine
One product that can be useful as a cleaner is a turpentine. It is, therefore, possible to use it to clean wooden furniture. But the essence of turpentine also helps protect the surface of your wood furniture in addition to giving them luster and shine.
If you have to clean a wooden piece of furniture that is very dirty, then it is possible to pair ammonia with turpentine to make it even more effective as a cleaner and stain remover. To do this, you must:
- Mix in equal parts ammonia and turpentine
- Soak a cloth in this mixture, taking care to protect your hands with gloves
- Rub and wash the surface of the wood with the mixture, insisting on the stains
- Use a clean, damp cloth to finish cleaning the wood.
This cleaning tip is sufficient for painted wood and varnished wood furniture. Always test on a small, inconspicuous area to avoid damaging the furniture.
9. Soapy water for cleaning wooden furniture
To clean painted wood furniture, simple soapy water will do the job. Here’s how to do it:
- Mix a little liquid soap with hot water
- Rub the painted wood with a sponge (wring out the sponge well)
- Then dry the entire surface of the wood with a soft cloth.
It is important to dry well and remove the soapy water to avoid water and soap stains on the wood surface once the furniture surface dries.
10. How to dust off old wooden furniture
It is vital to remember that you should not clean old or valuable furniture with cleaning products. Antique wooden furniture can be extremely fragile, so special care should be taken.
A simple dusting is enough or, at most, a cloth slightly dampened with lukewarm water. Antique wood furniture is often very fragile, so be careful with homemade products and recipes that you can use to clean the furniture.
Just use a microfiber cloth.
Cleaning waxed wood furniture should only be done with a woolen cloth. You will easily remove dust without damaging the furniture in question. This is the only way not to scratch your waxed furniture.
Of course, you can also use simple microfiber cloths to shine the surface of your wooden furniture.
11. How to clean teak furniture?
Whether for garden furniture or a teak table, it is essential to choose the right maintenance product. So if you have teak, hardwood, or even exotic wood furniture, we have found a product that saturates and nourishes the wood in depth.