We all have a pillow at home that is dirty and yellowed in places, but what can I do to clean a pillow? There are a few effective methods to whiten a yellowed pillow. But do you know them? We offer you easy tips and recipes below to whiten a pillow that has turned yellow over time.
1. Whiten a yellowed cotton pillow
Before washing your pillows, it is, of course, necessary to remove the pillowcases. To prevent your washing machine from getting carried away, you should always clean your pillows in pairs to throw everything in the washer tank.
To whiten the yellowed pillow, you need this:
- A laundry detergent plug (the one you usually use)
- A cup of bleach
- 1/2 cup Borax (powdered borax)
- A cup of dishwasher soap (powder)
It is vital to consider the quantities so as not to damage your pillow or your washing machine.
For your pillow to be useful, you need to set your hot water cycle with a double rinse to be sure you are removing everything and thoroughly cleaning your pillow.
Allow the pillow to dry thoroughly to finish cleaning.
To finish laundering and clean the pillows yellowed by the time you can let them air dry on support. If your pillow is cotton, you can send it to the dryer if you are in a hurry to use it overnight.
Well, there should be no more stains and a yellowed effect on your pillows once this tip is finished.
2. Wash a yellowed pillow with lemon juice!
Are the pillowcases and your pillow itself yellow? Well, why not use lemon juice to whiten yellowed laundry?
Indeed, lemon juice is a natural and effective trick to whiten and restore shine to white bedding, including the pillow.
- Pour the detergent and lemon juice in equal quantities into the washing machine.
- Clean the pillow and the yellow cloth in the normal cycle.
- Dry on a support or a washing line.
3. Clean a yellowed pillow with milk
Another trick to whiten a yellowed pillow, cushion, sheet, or other cloth is to use milk!
Indeed milk has a whitening power, so why not use it to wash your pillow? Here’s how to do it:
- Fill a large bowl or, better, the bottom of the kitchen sink with cold milk.
- Immerse the yellowed pillowcase and leave it on for 2 hours or better overnight.
- Finish cleaning in the washing machine on the regular cycle and dry.
Several other tricks other than milk exist to whiten yellowed tissue. Read this other article: How to launder laundry?
4. Oxygenated water to whiten a pillow by hand
Another useful product for bleaching and detaching a pillow that has turned yellow over time is hydrogen peroxide. Here’s how to use it to clean your pillow:
- Half fill the kitchen sink with hot water.
- Add a cup of hydrogen peroxide and soak the pillow.
- Leave to act for one hour, rinse and dry well to finish.