Insert a capsule, flip the lever, press the button – and freshly smelling coffee pours out of the little tap. But what? Has your coffee taste better? And what are those groaning noises? Time to descale your Nespresso.
When should I descale the Nespresso?
When is it time to remove the limescale in the pipes of the Nespresso Pixie so that the taste and functionality are not impaired? A general recommendation from Nespresso is: at least once a year. How quickly the machine calcifies depends primarily on these factors:
- the hardness of the water in your region
- your consumption
You can find out the hardness of the water in your region.
Depending on the hardness of the water, Nespresso recommends decalcifying the following amounts:
- Water hardness 0 to 10 ° DH: Nespresso Pixie should be descaled after a maximum of 4,000 cups (40 millimeters each).
- Water hardness 10 to 20 ° DH: Nespresso Pixie should be descaled after a maximum of 2,000 cups (40 millimeters each). The average water hardness (16 ° DH) is in this area.
- Water hardness over 20 ° DH: Nespresso Pixie should be descaled after 1,000 cups (40 millimeters each).
If you don’t want to count the cups that flow through your Nespresso Pixie, you can calculate your daily or weekly consumption (do you and possible roommates drink a coffee every day? Is it one or more cups? How often do you make a coffee for guests? the Nespresso Pixie?). Then you calculate how many weeks or months it will be that time again. To not miss the moment when you judge you, for example, on the iPhone or via Google home a reminder – done.
The machine itself also registers malfunctions and calcification. If it flashes irregularly, this may indicate that descaling is necessary. Then first carry out a descaling process. If the machine continues to flash irregularly afterward, contact the Nespresso Club.
How do I descale the Nespresso Pixie step by step?
You will need around 20 minutes for the entire descaling process. This is how you do it:
- If you have already inserted a capsule, take it out again.
- Close the lever.
- Empty the drip tray and the used capsule container.
- Put half a liter of water in the water tank.
- Add the descaler according to the amount given.
- Place a container under the coffee spout that can hold about a quart of liquid.
- Turn on the machine. Wait until the lights stop blinking and stay on permanently.
- Press both buttons with the cup symbols simultaneously for at least three seconds until they start to flash.
- Press the Lungo button (the button with the larger coffee cup.
- Let the cleaning fluid run entirely through the machine.
- If the water tank is empty, take the collecting container and fill the cleaning liquid back into the water tank.
- Press the Lungo button again and let the liquid run entirely through the device a second time.
- Then rinse the water tank thoroughly with clear water and fill it with drinking water.
- Put the water tank back in, press the Lungo button again and let the drinking water run entirely through the machine.
- Exit the descaling mode by pressing both buttons with the cup symbols simultaneously for one second. Your Nespresso Pixie is now descaled and ready for use again.
What cleaning agents can I use?
Nespresso itself recommends its decalcifying agent, which has been specially developed for the Nespresso Pixie. You can order it from the Nespresso Club, the online shop for registered users. However, universal products like this one from De’Longhi are also suitable.
The situation is different with home remedies. For example, the classics vinegar and citric acid. They work in a similar way to the special professional products, as the ingredients are largely identical. However, the cleaning agents in special agents are often contained in higher concentrations. Also, vinegar and citric acid can affect the taste of the coffee after descaling. Citric acid even harbors an extraordinary risk: when heated, it can combine with lime to form calcium nitrate and settle in the machine – the result would be the opposite of the desired effect. That is why you are better advised to use a descaling agent in this case.
Fresh coffee enjoyment after 20 minutes
Coffee made from calcified pipes is like yesterday’s bread: You can make it, but it only tastes half as good. Real coffee connoisseurs, therefore, make sure to descale the machine regularly especially since this can also significantly extend the service life of the device. Whether after a certain number of cups or after a certain period: the Nespresso Pixie also needs to be descaled regularly.
Fortunately, it works almost entirely automatically. Put water together with cleaning agent in the water tank, press a few buttons, let it run through, do it all over again – there is not much more to do. After around 20 minutes, the Nespresso Pixie is ready to use also and you can enjoy the next cup of fresh coffee.