If you use tap water to fill your steam generator, you will sooner or later see the appearance of lime in your appliance. This accumulation of scale will reduce the capacity of your steam generator by plugging the holes in the soleplate, and by clogging its components and the water tank.
To protect your steam generator from breakdowns caused by lime buildup, it will need to be serviced regularly. Here are some tips and tricks to properly descale your steam generator iron, from the tank to the iron.
1. Anti-scale for steam generator
For prevention, you can use products that are added directly to the water tank of the steam generator, such as an anti-scale cleaner.
These anti-lime products prevent the formation of lime and clean the ducts of steam devices during their use.
By doing so, you will extend the life of your steam generator and your steam cleaner and significantly improve its performance.
2. Rinse the steam generator thoroughly
The easiest way to avoid the accumulation of lime and other unwanted residues in a steam generator is to get into the habit of rinsing it thoroughly after every ten uses.
Rinse with clear, hot water several times in a row, making sure to shake the tank of the steam station well so that the water can do its job. Then wipe the inside of the tank with a clean cloth to remove the residue.
This is not a deep descaling but a cleaning tip to rinse the interior of the steam generator.
You can also use this tip to clean the inside of a steam cleaner or other steam-powered appliance.
3. Descale a steam generator iron with vinegar
How to descale a steam generator with white vinegar? Did you know that white vinegar is a perfect disinfectant but also an all-natural descaler?
To remove the traces of lime in your steam generator, you only have to
- Add about 100 milliliters of white vinegar to 1 liter of water.
- Then pour everything into the tank of your power station that you will light.
- When the water is bubbling, let out a few jets of steam, then switch off the appliance.
- Leave to act for a few hours, then empty the water and rinse the tank well.
It may be necessary to wipe the inside of the tank to remove the last traces of lime.
4. Clean a steam generator iron with sparkling water
Indeed, the gas contained in sparkling water can help you remove lime residues from your steam generator.
- Choose slightly sparkling water, and fill the tank of your steam generator to start cleaning.
- Rotate the water in the tank by shaking it for a few minutes, empty and rinse.
You may have to repeat this a few times before removing all the lime and scale inside the steam generator.
5. Descaling products for steam stations
Many manufacturers offer a free dose of descaling product when purchasing a steam generator. There are also some brands in stores.
They are easy to use, as you only need to add some to the water in the tank, turn on the device and let out a few jets of steam when the water is boiling. After that, it will be essential to rinse very well.
Although these products are effective, in the long run, they can have a corrosive effect on the components of steam generators. We then reserve them for an annual or biannual maintenance, and we opt for more natural and gentle solutions for the rest of the time.
6. To clean the iron of your steam generator iron
How to clean the soleplate of a steam generator? It is usual for the soleplate of your steam generator to accumulate lime and other dirt residues, and this will stain your clothes or linens during ironing. Fortunately, there are products specifically designed to clean the iron from steam generators.
Among other things, you will find on the market sticks that just slide on the sole of your iron or your steam generator iron. They will help dissolve lime residue and improve your ironing experience.
Other household products for cleaning the soleplate of a steam generator:
If you do not have these sticks on hand, there are several ways to clean and descale the soleplate of your steam generator iron:
- Household alcohol: this type of alcohol is commonly used as a cleaning product because it has disinfectant and degreasing properties. Clean the soleplate of your steam generator iron with a clean cloth lightly dampened with household alcohol, then rinse with clean water.
- Oxygenated water: for a very clean and disinfected iron soleplate, you can use a little hydrogen peroxide, also known as hydrogen peroxide. With a clean cloth, gently rub the sole then rinse with clear water.
- More vinegar: dilute white vinegar in hot water, and using a cotton swab, clean the holes well under the soleplate. If the soleplate is very dirty and the holes plugged, soak it in diluted vinegar for a few hours, making sure that the liquid does not exceed the thickness of the soleplate. The vinegar will remove lime residue while disinfecting.
- Marseille soap: if the soleplate of your steam generator iron is very dirty, you can rub it with Marseille soap, then wipe it with a soft, lint-free cloth.
7. Buy a new steam generator!
If you are looking for a new steam generator to replace your old model at home, we have the steam station for you! The Philips GC9665 steam generator iron offers excellent value for money and is one of the best choices on Amazon France.
This new model of steam generator iron offers exceptional speed and ease of use in addition to guaranteeing 0 burns, regardless of the type of fabric.
Descaling a steam generator, you will also like:
How to choose the best steam generator? Are you looking for the best steam generator but also the best price online? Here is our 100% free guide to buying the best steam station.
How to clean a washing machine? Now that you know how to clean a steam generator, here are our tips and top products for cleaning and deodorizing a washing machine.
How to iron a garment? You have a steam generator or even a simple iron but do you really know how to iron a garment properly?