It is normal to see a scale on appliances that use water. This is the case of the coffee maker, washing machine, iron, etc. And of course, we also find tartar on the surface of our teeth! The accumulation of scale can lead to various problems: for household appliances, lime deposits eventually prevent their proper functioning. For teeth, this buildup can cause cavities and gum disease.
If you are not fond of harsh methods or using chemicals, be aware that there are natural ways to get rid of tartar. 10 tips offer the best tips for naturally descaling at home.
1. Descale a washing machine naturally
A scaled washing machine will have a hard time washing your clothes and may even leave marks on them. To naturally descale a dirty washing machine, you must:
- Pour 1 liter of pure white vinegar and also spray the seals, the detergent tanks and the drum
- Leave the vinegar to work all day or all night
- Finish descaling the washing machine with a full cycle of hot water
Also, to maintain the washing machine and thus avoid tartar, make a habit of pouring 1 cup of vinegar with each detergent. Not only will it prevent tartar buildup, but it will also soften your clothes naturally.
2. How to descale a kettle?
To easily and naturally descale a kettle, you just need to:
- Pour a cup of white vinegar and fill it with water.
- Bring the water to a boil before switching off the appliance.
- Leave to act for a few minutes and rinse with plenty of water to complete the descaling.
You can also descale a kettle with citric acid:
- Pour 1 liter of water into the kettle
- Add 2 tablespoons of citric acid
- Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse well
Lemon juice can also be used to descale a kettle:
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon into 1 liter of water
- Pour everything into the kettle and bring to a boil
- Turn off the kettle as soon as the water boils and leave to act for a few minutes before rinsing
3. How to descale a coffee maker
A scaled coffee maker will run less well and the taste of the coffee will also be altered. To rediscover the pleasures of good coffee in the morning, regularly descale your coffee maker with white vinegar. To do this,
- Fill the tank with pure white vinegar and start the coffee maker
- Let it run while there is vinegar
- When the coffee maker is finally empty, make two cycles with water to rinse the appliance well
Another natural way to descale a coffee maker is with baking soda. In the tank of the device,
- Pour a mixture of one liter of cold water and two teaspoons of baking soda.
- Then start the coffee maker and let it run.
- When the mixture is finished, repeat the same operation 2 or 3 times to rinse your coffee maker.
4. Descale an iron
If you use tap water to fill your iron instead of demineralized water, it will cover itself shortly. To descale an iron, here is how to do it:
- Pour a glass of pure white vinegar and top up with water
- Turn on the iron and put in steam mode until it has escaped
- Operate the iron and pass it over an old cloth to remove the residues which will have come off
5. Descaling a very scaled toilet
The toilet also needs proper descaling from time to time. To do this, you must:
- Empty as much water as possible from the toilet bowl
- Pour pure white vinegar into the bowl
- Leave to act overnight and activate the flush to complete the descaling
To increase the effectiveness of vinegar, you can also combine it with baking soda. Proceed in the same way as before.
Coca-Cola and fresh lemon juice can also be used to descale toilets. Here’s how to do it:
- Empty the bowl as much as possible
- Pour a whole bottle of cola or lemon juice
- Leave to act overnight before flushing the toilet to finish cleaning
6. How to descale a dishwasher
The simplest way to descale your dishwasher is to pour 5 liters of pure white vinegar into it and have it cycle empty, with the warmest water possible.
You can also descale your dishwasher by putting half a cup of baking soda in it and having it do an empty cycle with boiling water.
Another alternative is to pour in a cup of fresh lemon juice and proceed as for vinegar or bicarbonate.
7. How to descale your teeth naturally
If you don’t pay attention to the hygiene of your mouth, tartar can end up causing some gum disease. In between visits to the dentist, try these different tips for removing tartar from your teeth:
Baking soda: dip your wet toothbrush in a little baking soda and brush your teeth as usual. In addition to cleaning your teeth well, baking soda will help whiten them.
Activated charcoal of vegetable origin: moisten your toothbrush then sprinkle it with a little activated charcoal. Brush your teeth and rinse well.
Tea tree essential oil: in addition to its antibacterial properties, this essential oil could contribute to the health of your teeth and your mouth in general. Apply a drop on your toothbrush, and brush your teeth and gums before spitting and rinsing.
Coconut oil: anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, coconut oil also has whitening properties. To clean your teeth, take 2 teaspoons in your mouth and rotate in your mouth for about 20 minutes. Spit it out and rinse your mouth well with water.
Lemon and white vinegar: squeeze the juice of half a lemon and mix it with 2 teaspoons of white vinegar. Brush your teeth with this mixture once a day, but not more than for a week so as not to damage the enamel of your teeth.
Visitors naturally descaled everything:
How to descale a steam generator? A bit like descaling and cleaning an iron, here are our top tips, tricks and products for descaling a steam generator iron.
How to clean and deodorize a washing machine? In addition to descaling the washing machine, here are our tips and homemade recipes to easily clean and purify the washing machine.
How to remove lime? Descaling is one thing, but do you know how to prevent and remove lime more easily? Come and read our cleaning tips to dissolve lime.