In those houses or areas where there is no hot water supply, an excellent way to get out of the situation is an electric storage boiler. About this, in which the criteria to select, can be found in our article “How to choose a combi boiler,” and in this, we are going to talk about how to drain the water from the boiler. Because the electric combi boiler is an appliance, it needs regular maintenance and cleaning.
Recommendations of specialists
The standard useful life of the boiler is from 8 to 10 years, but this is only possible if it is regularly cleaned of deposits and scales of lime. Detailed information about the discharge of water is contained in the instructions for the device itself, but very often it is lost or even discarded when the warranty period ends.
First, you must understand the internal structure of the device, so that there will be no difficulties with disassembly or subsequent assembly.
If for the first time, independently, decided to clean the boiler and the TEN of the scale, when analyzing the sequence of actions. When you start to collect, you just have to check the photos, and then there will be no “spare”, and the device will work correctly.
Only at first glance, it seems that the device is very complicated and contains many details. Its content is simple in content and includes:
- outer enameled box;
- an internal tank, usually made of stainless steel and covered with titanium enamel;
- thermal insulation of polyurethane between the inner container and the outer shell;
- two pipes – leaving under hot water and serving under a cold;
- tubular electric heater (ТЭН);
- Magnesium anode;
- thermostat regulator;
- automatic air valve.
The process of water drainage from the combi boiler
- Any repair and maintenance work is ALWAYS carried out with the power supply disconnected.
- After switching off, leave the boiler for 3-4 hours to cool the water to a safe temperature.
- Turn off the cold water tap, which draws water from the elevator (blue in the image).
- Turn on the tap with hot water and completely drain the water from the boiler.
- Turn the lever to release the internal pressure.
- After all the hot water has drained, do not turn off the tap to allow air to enter the boiler.
- Connect the hose to the drain cock (blue in the figure), open this tap and drain all the water. If there is no hose at hand, you can drain the water in any container, but its volume should be at least 20-30 liters.
For clarity, watch a video on how to drain water from a boiler:
When to drain the water
- The main thing for which it is necessary to carry out such manipulations is to clean the TEN and replace the magnesium anode. About how to do this, you will find in the article “Why and why do you need a magnesium anode in a combi boiler.”With the regular use of the boiler, this cleaning is carried out once a year and a half.
Signs of contaminated heaters:
- The boiler is turned on and off much more frequently than usual;
- when it is turned on, you can hear a soft whistle, as if some air were released;
- the heating of the water began to take more time;
- the water stopped heating at all.
With TENe contaminated, electricity consumption increases by 25-50%.
- With irregular operation: in the country house or in a country house, where they only come for a limited time. It is necessary to drain the water from the boiler for winter if the temperature in the room drops below 3-50 ° C. At such speeds, the water in the tank freezes and breaks the pipes, which It has irreversible consequences.
Drain water without any reason, even in the case of occasional use (if the temperature is stable above 80 ° C) is not recommended. The device, which is without water for a long time, decomposes.
It is forbidden to drain the water when the equipment is still under warranty. In this case, it will be an unauthorized opening of the device, which will automatically cancel the guarantee obligations of the seller or the manufacturer.
If the device breaks or it is time to clean the heater and change the magnesium anode (see signs above), it is recommended to invite experts from the service center, offers warranty and post-warranty repair.
To avoid the violation of the warranty, it is recommended to buy and install a combi boiler by the same company.
For the repair or prevention, it is also necessary to resort to the services of the specialists who made the installation. The inspection of the equipment is usually carried out on the site. If it is necessary to drain the water, the specialists will do it themselves.
At the end of the warranty period, you can drain the water, clean the tubular electric heater, and change the anode.
How to drain water from boilers of different brands
To date, the most popular types of combi boilers are:
In each of them, we will talk in more detail.
The drain of the Ariston boiler
This brand of boiler, unlike all others, requires that the water drain if the device is not used for more than three weeks.
- Unplug the appliance from the mains and allow the water to cool if it has been heated before;
- Close the tap on the water supply pipe.
- Open the hot water tap on the mixer to drain it and relieve pressure.
- Open the water tap on the tank to make sure there is air in the housing.
- Open the drain valve on the cold water supply pipe in the combi boiler.
- Connect the drain hose to the pipe and direct it to the sewer (sink or bathtub).
- Make sure there is no water in the appliance.
These actions should be carried out each time you leave the device unplugged for a long time or when performing preventive maintenance.
About what is heating is not in question, the first thing to be disconnected from the electrical network and make sure that the temperature inside the tank is sure not to suffer thermal burns of accidental spills.
- Turn off the tap of the cold water supply pipe.
- Open the hot water tap (mixer or shower) and wait for all the water to mix.
- Under the safety valve, where the cold water supply pipe is suitable, unscrew the nuts.
- Connect the drain hose to the bifurcation pipe and guide it to the sewer (sink or bathroom).
- Unscrew the nuts of the hot water nozzle for air access, after which the water starts to drain.
In the video, you will see in more detail how to drain the Termex water, at the same time, and how to change the magnesium anode. According to a similar principle, water merges into thermal devices.
Two ways to drain water from a Bosch boiler
There are two main types of combi boiler connection specified:
In both cases, first unplug the appliance from the electrical network, after being convinced that the water has cooled down.
- With the standard connection type:
- open the hot water and allow it to drain the tap completely will not close so that the air will enter the tank;
- connect the drain hose to the bifurcation pipe in the relief valve connected to the cold water supply pipe;
- open the discharge valve and allow the water to drain completely;
- close the compartment valve;
- make sure there is no water in the tank.
- With a simplified connection
- open the hot water tap, let it drain and leave the faucet open;
- in the safety valve, turn the lever and let it flow (it will take 3 to 4 hours);
- If there is no lever on the valve, squeeze the spring with a thin screwdriver, fix it and also leave it to drain.
If even with an open tap, the water flows very slowly or even stops completely, although it still exists in the tank, open it and open the valve in the hot water supply pipe.
How to drain a boiler from the Atlantic
With the example of this device, we will see how to drain the water when the connection is incorrect. It’s about when there is no water shut off valves, and there are only valves, and then, it does not always work.
If the water drain valve is working, it is sufficient to open it and leave it for 2-3 hours before placing the water tank.
Now concerning the absence of cutting valves and a shutter valve.
- Overlap the water supply in the pipe (in the vertical tube).
- Close the hose with hot water in the boiler and unscrew it.
- Also, unscrew the cold water supply hose; the emergency valve will not release it.
- Lift the valve and wait for all the water to melt.
In any combi boiler, regardless of the brand, even after draining there are always 10-15 liters of water. You can get rid of the solo if you remove the heater.
Council of specialists
- Always disconnect the appliance from the power outlet.
- The water should be cooled to an acceptable temperature.
- Despite the differences in design, the water in all the boilers is fused according to the same principle.