Bed bugs are pest little bugs that crawl into bedding and clothing. To get rid of them before they proliferate throughout the house, several solutions, such as essential oils. It is important to treat infected objects with cold, heat, or insecticides.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Naturally and Fast?
It is difficult to get rid of bed bugs. These little nocturnal beasts are good at hiding in odd places and escaping the most vigilant eyes. Moreover, their life cycle is rapid. They quickly form real colonies. To eliminate them naturally, nothing like essential oils:
- The essential oil of tea tree is renowned as natural pest control and insecticide. It repels bed bugs with its scent and prevents them from growing.
- The essential oil of cloves is also an excellent natural insecticide. It is effective in the fight against a large number of parasites, including bed bugs and mites.
- Most insects can’t stand the strong smell of lemon eucalyptus essential oil.
To treat a pregnant woman or a child’s bedding, it is better to use lavender essential oil. Just as effective as the essential oil of tea tree or essential oil of clove, it stands out for its harmlessness.
Using cold to get rid of bed bugs
To treat clothes infested with bedbugs, cold is effective. Just put the clothes in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge overnight. These little insects won’t resist it. If there is enough room in the fridge, why not try this method for sheets and covers? Otherwise, it is possible to process the whole room. Here’s how to do it:
- Sprinkle the liquid with nitrogen or carbon dioxide snow in the chamber. Insist on the bed and below.
- Leave the treatment to act for at least 2 hours.
- Wash your hands well and change clothes.
For this tip, the wearing of gloves and suitable clothing is required.
Regarding heat treatment, it is reserved for professionals.
Clean the furniture
Bed bugs are particularly fond of warm, dimly lit places, especially in furniture. Therefore, to deal with them effectively, it is important to clean them.
- Empty drawers and other storage;
- Dust the interior with a brush. A toothbrush is more suitable for removing finer dust.
The vacuum cleaner is more effective at thoroughly cleaning closets.
Clean the walls and floor
After the furniture, you have to clean the walls and the floor.
- Move all the furniture;
- Dust every corner of the room using a suitable brush;
- To reach hard-to-reach places, there’s nothing like a vacuum cleaner.
- Those who have a wooden floor need to wax it from time to time, once a month.
- To use the vacuum cleaner properly and effectively remedy bedbugs’ proliferation, it is important to maintain the device. Cleaning after each use is essential.
- Also, make sure to insulate the vacuum cleaner bag to avoid any risk of spread.
Wash laundry efficiently
To get rid of bed bugs, it is advisable to wash your linen and blankets well. Cleaning at 60 ° C is much more efficient. If the laundry cannot withstand this temperature, cold should be used in this case. The freeze at -20 ° C for three days, and voila! To dislodge small critters most recalcitrant, it is strongly recommended that a steam cleaning at 110 ° C or 180 ° C. They are not resistant to high temperatures.
Other solutions to fight against bedbugs
Before resorting to drastic methods to eliminate bedbugs, here are some other tips to try urgently:
- Diatomaceous earth: this is a substance composed of fossilized algae. Diatomaceous earth is an excellent insecticide that is both effective and natural. It is enough to put some on the places of passage of the insects to kill them.
- Silica gel: this product is effective in dehydrating and killing pests. Bed bugs are no exception. To do this, reduce the silica gel to a powder and apply it throughout the room. Insist on the mattress and along the walls. The silica gel powder sticks to insects and dehydrates them. It is important to repeat the operation every five days to eliminate the eggs that have just hatched. The treatment usually lasts five weeks.
- Wintergreen Alcohol: It is effective in killing bedbugs and their eggs. Not easy to find, wintergreen alcohol is applied directly to nests and insects using a spray bottle. It should also be put on the bed and the headboard.
Controlling the bed bug infestation
To prevent the spread of bedbugs throughout the house, here are some recommendations :
- Pass all infected objects through the machine if possible. Otherwise, heat them.
- For small items, wrap them in a plastic bag and put them in the sun for several days.
- Wash all linens, clothing, bags, bedspreads, fabric items, lint, and pillows at high heat and dry them at high heat as well. Some laundromats offer this kind of service.
If the infested items cannot be washed, all that remains is to use insecticides. They are effective in eliminating all parasites. Before their use, it is important to prepare the room. For it :
- Wash sheets, covers, and duvets.
- Empty furniture: wardrobes, dressers, nightstands, etc.
- Store clothes in soluble laundry bags.
- To vacuum.
This big cleaning is also an opportunity to eliminate all unnecessary objects, which are real niches for bedbugs.
For the application of the insecticide, here are the instructions:
- Wear gloves and an apron.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Pour the product under the bed and in the corners of the bedroom.
- Leave to act and close the room.
- Wait at least an hour before reopening the door.
- Clean gloves, apron, and hands.