What could be more unpleasant than a bad smell of cigarettes which runs through the rooms of the house or worse the car? The smell is unbearable, even more so for those who do not smoke in the house.
Curiosity Insight, therefore, offers you in this article practical, useful, and quick tips for eliminating the smell of cigarettes in the house and the smell of tobacco in the car.
1. Baking soda against cigarette smell
A sofa, curtains, a rug, all fabric furniture that can quickly absorb the bad smell of tobacco in the house. So since curtains, rugs, and sofas are generally made of fabric, they will have to be washed well to remove the smell of cigarettes altogether.
How to remove the smell of cigarettes from a fabric curtain?
To remove the tobacco smell from the curtains, simply wash them in the washing machine on a gentle cycle and repeat as needed if the odor persists. You can also prepare a mixture of 3 cups of warm-hot water with a teaspoon of lemon juice and baking soda.
Mix the 3 ingredients well and spray directly on the fabric curtains to quickly remove the smell of cigarettes and other bad smells.
How to remove the smell of cigarettes from a fabric sofa?
- Sprinkle baking soda on the couch
- Leave the baking soda to act for at least 4 hours
- Vacuum the couch to remove the baking soda altogether
How to remove the smell of cigarettes from rugs and carpets?
- Spray a mixture of water and lemon over the entire surface of the carpet
- Generously sprinkle all the carpet with baking soda.
- Leave the baking soda to act overnight to absorb the entire tobacco smell.
- The next morning, vacuum to clean everything.
With this baking soda trick, the bad smell of tobacco will quickly disappear from your fabric furniture in the house. Of course, you can also use this baking soda tip against bad odors in the car.
2. Essential oil against cigarette smell
Essential oils are prevalent in our homes. Whether for aromatherapy or to hide a bad smell in the house or the car, essential oils are a great trick.
Indeed, essential oils are excellent for camouflaging cigarette smells in the house, in a small apartment, or even in a car.
Be careful not to simply mix the smell of essential oil with the scent of tobacco, because the mixture may make you feel sick if you are looking for a way to effectively diffuse essential oil in a room where the smell of cigarettes is present.
3. How to remove the smell of cigarettes in a car?
Do you know how to remove the bad smell of tobacco in a car quickly? If you are used to smoking cigarettes in the car, why not try to control and eliminate this bad smell for the good of the other occupants?
Use baking soda in the car as an odor remover
As in the house, baking soda is an excellent natural product to get rid of the smell of cigarettes quickly. Here’s how to use baking soda to get rid of that bad smell:
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on car mats and seats
- Use a brush to impregnate the fabrics in the car thoroughly.
- Leave the baking soda on overnight if you can
- Vacuum to remove the baking soda from your carpets and seats
- Repeat as needed if the smell of tobacco persists in the car
A tobacco odor absorber to be placed in the car
If you are looking for an effective and fast odor control product, then the odor absorber in a pot is undoubtedly the solution for the car and small rooms in the house. There are several odor absorbers with activated charcoal that help eliminate bad odors, including the bad smell of cigarettes in the car.
Just remove the cover and place it inside the car for it to absorb the smell of tobacco and other disagreeable odors. Depending on the location and the air quality, this product is active for 4 to 6 weeks.
For the car or a small room in the house, here is an easy to use odor absorber.
4. Make an anti-tobacco odor spray
You already know some excellent anti-tobacco odor tips after reading our first tips and tricks, but now how about discovering a homemade spray to concoct yourself?
For this anti-odor spray you need:
- 2 cups of hot water.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar.
- 4 drops of lemon essential oil.
Mix all the ingredients well and then spray on furniture and surfaces to quickly get rid of the smell of cigarettes in the house and the car. If you don’t have white vinegar or lemon essential oil, the trick is still very effective against bad odors.
5. Vinegar to remove the smell of cigarettes from the walls?
White vinegar is a top-rated natural product in our homes for cleaning, staining, and deodorizing everything. So why not use the power of white vinegar to eliminate the smell of cigarettes from walls and other surfaces in the house? Indeed, white vinegar is effective in removing cigarette odors from furniture, walls, and floors.
- Mix 2 cups of warm lukewarm water with a cup of white vinegar (adjust the amounts for a more substantial cleaning surface)
- Use a clean, soft sponge or cloth to clean interior walls.
- Rinse with a cloth and clean water without additive to avoid marking the walls with vinegar and dry to finish
Better to test this white vinegar cleaning trick on a small area to avoid damaging the paint on the wall.
You can also use this white vinegar trick to clean furniture and floors that emit a strong tobacco smell. But as with the walls, it is better to test the solution on a small area so as not to damage the furniture and floors.
6. Empty the ashtray often to remove the smell of cigarettes
If you are a smoker, it is essential to empty the ashtrays regularly. Ashtrays contain a potent smell of cigarettes, so it is necessary to leave them as often as possible to avoid stinking the house and harming the comfort of the whole family.
In addition to emptying the ashtray regularly, get into the habit of washing it with soapy water or better with a mixture of water and white vinegar.
Also, avoid emptying them in the kitchen trash because the smell of tobacco will remain very present even if you have left the ashtray. Go directly throw the ashtrays in the trash outside. On the other hand, wait until the ashes of the cigarettes are cooled to avoid an incident.
Whether for you or your smoking guests, know that there are anti-odor ashtrays. Of course, the smell of tobacco will not be completely hidden, but the smell of cigarettes will be less present in the house with this type of ashtray.
7. Remove the smell of cigarettes with eucalyptus
If you are looking for an essential oil that is effective in suppressing the smell of tobacco in the house or the car, then eucalyptus oil is the solution.
Here is how to use eucalyptus to remove cigarette smell in the house:
- Mix 1 liter of water with 100 ml of eucalyptus essential oil
- Spray the mixture all over the house, wherever the smell of tobacco is present.
- Also spray directly on rugs, carpets, and curtains.
With this anti-odor trick, you should see a big difference in terms of bad cigarette smells in the rooms of the house but also in the car.
8. Absorb the smell of tobacco with a damp sponge
How about trying out a simple trick that can absorb the smell of cigarette smoke for free and quickly? A wet sponge is a solution to your odor problem!
Here is how to remove the smell of cigarettes with a sponge:
- Take a big sponge and dip it in the water.
- Place the sponge in a container at a strategic location.
- You can also hang up the sponge to absorb the smell of cigarettes.
- Moisten the sponge from time to time so that it is useful as an anti-odor trick
To speed up the control of this bad smell, you can burn dry bay leaves in a tin can. A natural trick that quickly neutralizes the smell of cigarette smoke in a home.
Be careful, though, because fire remains dangerous, so take the necessary precautions before burning bay leaves.
9. An air purifier against the smell of cigarettes
Another effective way to remove cigarette smell from the house is to use an air purifier and freshener. This type of device quickly eliminates the smell of tobacco but also other bad smells in addition to removing the allergens in the air.
Of course, if cigarette smoke is very present in your home, even the most efficient air purifier will not eliminate this smell.
10. Air out the house to remove the smell of cigarettes
How do you get rid of that lousy cigarette smell in the house if you don’t take the time to ventilate the house well?
Indeed, do not hesitate to open the windows huge and to operate the ceiling fan if necessary to eliminate the bad smells of cigarettes in the house. In summer and winter, nothing beats the fresh air from the outside to ventilate the house thoroughly.
If you have an air exchanger in the house, you must quickly put it in the air exchange mode to evacuate the bad smell of cigarettes in the house.