Eating fish is good for your health. Unfortunately, the fish often leaves an odor that can be frankly unpleasant in the house. Also, this smell can persist for several days and reach all rooms of the house and not only the kitchen.
Here we offer some excellent tips and tricks to remove the smell of fish in the house.
1. Remove the smell of fish with boiled vinegar
A first natural tip to eliminate the smell of fish in the house is to use vinegar. Here’s how to do it:
- Mix an equal part of water and vinegar in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture of water and vinegar to a boil.
This smell of boiled vinegar will camouflage the smell of fish in the kitchen and everywhere in the house.
2. Add fresh ginger while the fish is cooking
Rather than having to make the smell disappear once the fish is cooked, why not control it directly during this famous cooking?
So while you cook your fish in the oven or the pan, add a piece of fresh ginger in the oil. Thanks to this tip of fresh ginger, there will be no bad smell of fish that will spread everywhere in the house or almost not.
I prefer the smell of ginger than a strong smell of fish all over the house. And you?
3. Essential oils against fish odors
By using essential oils in the kitchen and elsewhere in the house when cooking fish, the smells will be much more pleasant afterward.
Prefer essential oils to citrus fruits, which allow to eliminate or rather to camouflage more effectively the smell of fish but also the smell of frying.
Be careful not to exaggerate because the essential oil released in too large a quantity can quickly become disturbing for the occupants.
One product that our grandmothers used to give a sweet scent in the home is Armenian paper.
Indeed this product, when it burns, gives off a good and sweet smell which can, therefore, be useful to camouflage the bad smell of fish in the house.
You can buy this type of paper in some organic products stores as well as in some pharmacies.
5. Lemons to eradicate the smell of fish in the kitchen!
If you plan to make a fish recipe with baking, don’t forget to buy one or two lemons before you start!
Indeed lemon is a great food that will neutralize and eliminate this bad smell of fish. So once the fish is cooked:
- Cut a lemon in half and place the pieces on an aluminum plate.
- Place the plate with the lemon on the rack directly in the center of the oven.
- Heat the oven for 5 minutes with the door closed.
The smell of fish that was well embedded in the oven is now a thing of the past, thanks to the lemon!
6. Cloves and orange
Another grandmother’s recipe for effectively removing the smell of fish in a house is the use of cloves and an orange! Here is how to succeed with this anti-odor tip:
- Cut orange and squeeze the juice into a saucepan of water.
- Then stick cloves in the orange and place the orange in the pan.
- Boil over low heat until the fishy smell disappears.
A great tip to say bye-bye to the bad smells of fish in the house!
7. Light matches to camouflage the smell
The smell of lit matches would seem to be effective in hiding and removing the smell of fish and other disagreeable odors in the kitchen.
Be careful though, fire is fire, and it can be dangerous, so be careful when handling matches.
8. Thyme and bay leaf to get rid of fishy odor
Do you like natural tips and homemade recipes against bad odors?
- Place a few sprigs of thyme and bay leaves in a saucepan.
- Add water and boil to spread a good smell throughout the house.
Thyme and bay leaves are very useful in camouflaging cooking odors in the home.
7. Operating the range hood
Remember to turn on your range hood at least ten minutes before you start cooking your fish.
A simple reminder, but very effective against the bad smell of fish in the house while cooking your favorite recipe.
The fishy smell in the kitchen, you may also like:
How to remove a bad smell in the house? There is, of course, the smell of fish in the kitchen, but there are also many other bad smells to make disappear in a house.
Why eat more fish? The smell of cooking a fish can indeed be unpleasant, but that should not prevent you from eating it!
How to remove the smell of frying? The smell of frying is another smell that can quickly become unbearable in a kitchen, isn’t it!