It is well known; mold tends to increase in wetlands. And this is why your washing machine is a favorite place for molds which can end up staining your clothes and giving them an unpleasant smell.
But with a few clever tricks, you can quickly get rid of mold in the washing machine and prevent it from happening. Here are our tips for rapidly removing mold from the washing machine.
1. What are the causes of mold in the washing machine?
As mentioned in the introduction, mold needs constant moisture to grow and spread. It is, therefore, reasonable to see them appear in the washing machine.
Indeed, it uses water to wash your clothes, and many of us leave our wet clothes there too long and do not wipe it after a wash cycle.
Also, the room where the laundry appliances are installed is often poorly ventilated, which maintains a high level of ambient humidity.
2. Remove mold in the washing machine with vinegar
To easily remove mold in the washing machine:
- Add 5 liters of pure white vinegar and start a washing cycle, empty, with boiling water.
- When the cycle is finished, wipe the interior of the machine and all its components well (detergent drawers, all seals, the drain hose, etc.).
- Leave the appliance door open to keep everything dry.
To prevent mold in the washing machine, do this treatment once a week.
Another way to naturally remove mold and bad odors from the washing machine:
- Thoroughly soak a large towel with white vinegar
- Put it in the washing machine and start the spin cycle
3. How do I remove mold in the door seal of the washing machine?
The door seal on washing machines is often dirty and mold quickly spreads, especially in front-loading appliances.
To eliminate mold in the door seal, you will need three ingredients:
- 3 liters of water
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide
Mix these three ingredients well, and soak a cloth in this anti-mold house cleaner. Rub the rubber seals on the door of your washing machine, then dry thoroughly. Leave the door ajar to expel the remaining moisture.
Another tip for removing mold from the washing machine door seal is to wash it with an old toothbrush soaked in a mixture of hot water, liquid dish soap and a few drops of ammonia.
4. Citric acid to remove the smell of mold
Your washing machine smells and this odor is transmitted to your clothes and linens?
- Pour eight tablespoons of citric acid into the drum of the washing machine.
- Start a negative cycle with boiling water.
A small bonus, this trick, will also be used to descale your washing machine, thus facilitating its maintenance!
5. Remove mold and bad smells from the washing machine
This tip is a 2 in 1: it removes rust and deodorizes the washing machine. To do this:
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda and 1 liter of white vinegar into the washing machine drum.
- Then start an empty washing cycle with boiling water, but stop it after one minute.
- Leave to act for 1 hour and start the washing cycle again.
- When the cycle is finished, dry the inside of the drum and the door seal thoroughly, and leave the door open until the next wash.
6. How to clean mold in the washing machine?
For persistent mold, both inside the washing machine and on the door seal, use bleach. It is often the best tip for removing mold stains in the washing machine.
Combine 1 liter of hot water and 1 liter of bleach, and using a cloth, thoroughly wash the inside of the washing machine drum and the door seal. Allow drying thoroughly before closing the door.
For stubborn mold stains, thoroughly soak a clean cloth in your bleach mixture, and apply it to the door gasket. Leave it there for 15 to 20 minutes, then rub.
7. How can I prevent mold from appearing in the washing machine?
The best way to prevent mold from appearing in your washing machine is to leave the door open between washes. This will keep it dry and stop the growth of mold.
Remember to remove wet clothes as quickly as possible from the washing machine!
Also, if your appliance is front-loading, make sure to use an adequate laundry soap, specially designed for this type of washing machine. And once a week, wash your washing machine thoroughly with one of our tips.
Mold in the washing machine; you may also like:
How to clean your washing machine? Here are all of our cleaning tips and tricks to thoroughly clean your washing machine.
How to clean the fridge seal? The fridge seal can also have mold! Here are some tips for cleaning the fridge door gasket.