The silverfish or silverfish is an insect found in new and old buildings. It is considered harmful because it damages material goods such as books, documents, wallpaper, etc. The silverfish becomes embedded in cracks in walls, crevices, or even bathrooms. There are different tips to fight against its proliferation effectively.
Control the humidity and hygiene in the house
The silverfish craves hot and humid. Moreover, they are generally found in the kitchen or the bathroom. To prevent their appearance in the house, it is advisable to ensure all the rooms’ hygiene by perfectly eliminating humidity traces. It is sometimes necessary to install a humidity absorber to keep the humidity level below 40%. To fight against the reproduction of silverfish, it is necessary:
- Avoid water infiltration;
- Repair leaks from faucets and pipes;
- Keep cupboards, counters, pantries, and drawers clean.
- It is also advisable to avoid leaving crumbs lying on the ground. In fact, silverfish eat pasta, dried meat, or even cereals. Likewise, the dead leaves at the edge of the house attract them.
Here’s a simple but effective egg disposal trick: Carefully vacuum cracks on walls and behind baseboards. To prevent silverfish from returning, it is recommended that you fill in cracks and holes in the ground using putty.
Trying grandma’s remedies.
- Place sachets of spices in the kitchen cupboards
The smell of spices repels silverfish. To easily keep them away from food:
- Make small sachets of fragrant spices such as cinnamon or cloves;
- Place the pouches in the kitchen cupboards.
Another tip: grow aromatic plants in the house (terrace, kitchen, veranda …) or the garden. They are used to season dishes but also to ward off silverfish and mosquitoes. Examples are camphor tree, basil, eucalyptus, and sage.
- Using citrus
Lemon and orange zest are effective in repelling silverfish. Just place them in the infested areas. Of course, it is necessary to change the citrus peels from time to time.
Another tip: use a citrus spray.
- Dilute the lemon essential oil in water;
- Shake the preparation in a spray bottle;
- Spray in all corners of the house.
- Spray lavender essential oil
- Take a 500 ml sprayer;
- Add a teaspoon of lavender essential oil and 250 ml of water;
- Shake well before use;
- Spray the undersides of rugs, window frames, bathroom, basement, and kitchen areas.
- Cucumber to fight silverfish
These insects hate the smell of cucumber. Instead of throwing away the cucumber peels, it makes more sense to place them in all entry points to keep silverfish away.
- Using table salt
The table salt kills by dehydration silverfish. Effective, this trick acts slowly.
Set up silverfish traps
In housing colonized by silverfish, it is advisable to set up traps to get rid of them easily.
- A glass jar
- Take a glass jar such as a jar of yogurt or jam;
- Cover the exterior surface of the pot with a rough adhesive such as those used for angles and baseboards when painting;
- Pour water mixed with flour into the pot to attract silverfish;
- Place the traps in the passage points of these critters.
These pests will get stuck since they are unable to climb smooth surfaces like glass.
- A jar
- Wrap the outside of a fishbowl with duct tape to help the silverfish to rise;
- Place a piece of food or wet paper inside the jar.
- A potato
- Peel a potato and cut it in half;
- The empty part of its flesh;
- Place the two parts of the potato (cut sides down) in the center of an open plastic bag;
- The next morning, gently close the plastic bag in which the silverfish will be trapped;
- Release the silverfish into the wild (a few tens of meters from the house).
This method is effective in chasing silverfish without killing them.
- A log trap
- Roll up a newspaper;
- Hold the ends with elastic bands;
- Moisten the newspaper roll;
- Place it at the silverfish crossing points before going to bed;
- The next morning, burn or throw away the newspaper without unrolling it;
- Repeat this operation for several nights in a row until there are no silverfish traces left in the house.
Use a natural silverfish repellent.
The insect repellent oil made from neem extract is effective and acts as a natural repellent against silverfish. The same is true for the following products:
- Cedar shavings;
- Cinnamon sticks;
- Lavender essential oil;
Just spray or place your chosen repellant in areas occupied by silverfish.
Available from pharmacies, boric acid is effective in killing silverfish and their eggs. It is used in powder or diluted. The third method is to prepare a bait based on:
- 750 ml of water;
- 20 ml of boric acid;
- 250 ml of sugar.
Some repellents are effective in getting rid of other insects such as woodlice or ants. Above all, do not forget to wear a mask when applying them, regardless of the product used.
Using insecticides to get rid of silverfish
When the proliferation of silverfish becomes important, insecticides should be used. For information, there is no product specially designed for this type of insect. However, powders and sprays against crawling insects are effective.
It is also possible to use diatomaceous earth. Effective against silverfish, this natural powder is safe for both people and pets. It damages the membrane covering the insect’s body and causes dehydration. Diatomaceous earth also kills spiders, carpenter ants, mites, lice, fleas, earwigs, bedbugs, etc. Just sprinkle with it:
- At entry points such as window sills;
- Close to heat sources;
- Along the plinths;
- Behind the furniture;
- Below the household appliances.