Dogs also suffer from skin problems such as dryness, irritation, or allergies, among others. Apart from going to the vet to rule out or detect conditions that need to be cured as soon as possible and follow their guidelines, we want to help our fur’s skin regenerate and be well-nourished hydrated; we can apply creams. Also, these creams can be made with natural, economic, and simple products, and all of them will serve to apply them both on the nose or truffle and the pads, which are the most prone to dry areas as on any other part of your skin.
In a COMO, we give you different easy recipes of homemade moisturizer for dogs. Choose the one you like the best, and you will see good results.
Homemade moisturizer for dogs with aloe vera
This is a dog truffle cream, and its pads are very effective, but it will also help to soothe the body’s irritated skin and help heal wounds. So, if you are looking for homemade remedies for your dog’s dry skin, take note of this simple recipe with natural, easy-to-get ingredients. To make it, we will use aloe vera, oats, and rosehip oil. These three ingredients are potent natural moisturizers, soothing, and both aloe vera and rosehip are regenerating or healing very effective. Find out more about the effects of Aloe vera on the skin of dogs in this other article.
To make this moisturizing cream, follow these instructions:
- Two leaves of aloe vera
- One tablespoon of rosehip oil
- Three tablespoons ground oats
- If you have not got oats ground or powder very fine and have the flakes, you will first have to grind them until they are as thin as possible.
- Open the aloe vera leaves and extract the gel by pouring it into a large enough container in which you will store the moisturizer for your dog.
- Add the oatmeal powder to the aloe vera gel and stir well until the two ingredients are fully integrated.
- Add the tablespoon of rosehip oil and mix again.
- You have ready the moisturizing cream for your hairy, and you can apply it as many times as needed. It is recommended that at the beginning of the treatment, you apply it between 2 and three times a day and that later, as maintenance, you put it between 1 and three times a week.
Moisturizer for dogs with oils and vitamin E
Another simple recipe, but at the same time more complete than the previous one, is the one that includes different vegetable oils, vitamin E, and beeswax. The different vegetable oils that we use will hydrate the dog’s skin in depth, nourish and calm it, beeswax is also moisturizing, nourishing, regenerating, and vitamin E is very beneficial for the skin since it not only hydrates but also It is a potent antioxidant. For example, in this other article, we show you the benefits and properties of coconut oil for dogs.
To make this homemade moisturizer for dogs with oils and vitamins, follow these steps:
- 85 g of beeswax
- Three tablespoons olive oil
- Three tablespoons of avocado oil
- Three tablespoons of coconut oil
- Four capsules of vitamin E oil
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
Preparation of moisturizer
- Melt the beeswax on low heat, and when it is completely melted, remove it from the fire, pouring it into a large glass bowl.
- Add the tablespoons of the olive, avocado, and coconut oils to the beeswax and stir well until it is all integrated.
- Open the capsules with scissors or a needle, and pour the vitamin E oil into the mixture, stirring well again.
- Add the drops of lavender essential oil and mix again to obtain a homogeneous cream.
- Before the wax cools down completely, you have to pour the cream into the container you will use to store it. You will see that as the wax cools, a texture more similar to a balm will appear.
- Apply it on your hairy skin as many times as necessary, both to treat and prevent skin problems.
Moisturizer for dogs with olive oil
This recipe for moisturizing cream for dogs is the simplest you can do since it only has two ingredients, although if you want, you can always add vegetable oils like the ones mentioned above. To make it, we will use olive oil, one of the best oils for dogs and people’s skin, and neutral petrolatum, which also hydrates in-depth, regenerates and protects the dermis. Pay attention to the homemade moisturizer recipe for dogs with olive oil and Vaseline :
- One jar of neutral Vaseline
- Three tablespoons olive oil
The amount may vary depending on the dog’s size and how large the area of skin to be treated.
- Pour all the neutral petroleum jelly into a larger container, preferably if you will use it to store the cream or balsam.
- Add the amount of olive oil needed.
- Mix well until the two ingredients are as integrated as possible.
- You can apply it as much as you see necessary. Also, wearing petroleum jelly is an excellent pad protector, so you can use it if you have delicate pads and go for a walk or on steep terrain or with snow.
Homemade moisturizing balm for dogs with shea butter
This last recipe for balm or moisturizer for dogs is made with shea butter, which is another natural product with great hydration and regeneration properties for dogs’ skin. Also, you can add all the vegetable and essential oils you want. We recommend adding coconut oil, olive oil, and lavender essential oil or calendula essential oil.
- One jar of shea butter
- Two tablespoons of each vegetable oil you add
- Ten drops of each essential oil that you add
According to the number of ingredients, the final amount of cream will be higher or lower, so we must also consider how much we need
- Put the shea butter in another larger container, in which you will store the cream or balm.
- Add the indicated amounts of vegetable and essential oils and mix very well until you see a uniform cream.
- You can apply a thin layer of this balm on the skin of your furry once or twice a day until you see that you have it better.
All these creams should be stored in the refrigerator and take them out only when we use them. If you notice a strange appearance or a different smell than usual, it is best to throw them away and do more instead of applying them to the dog’s skin. Therefore, we recommend making fair amounts instead of large quantities.
Can I use human moisturizer for dogs?
Many people think of using their moisturizers to treat your pet’s dry or irritated skin, but the truth is that you have to be very careful with this. Commercial creams with many ingredients usually carry many chemicals, including artificial flavors, and we do not have the same pH in the skin as they do. These ingredients can worsen the can’s skin condition and may feel bad if you lick them.
Therefore, you can only use human moisturizer for your dog if it is made entirely with natural products and, anyway, it will always be safer to use special creams for dogs or those you do following the previous recipes, since its ingredients they are totally safe and beneficial for them, both applied to the skin and if they lick them.
To finish, we recommend you check this other article of unCOMO in which we tell you How to take care of your dog’s dry skin.