Very practical, the dimmer finds its place in the living room or the room. It is primarily the living rooms that are targeted by this type of electrical appliance to create atmospheres almost on demand. Although it is effortless to use, the principle is still ingenious, and the benefits are many—overview of what a light dimmer.
The main explanations and signs on the dimmer
- dimmer type
- Load designations for which loads it is suitable (R, L, C)
- The power range: Rated power: 10 – 250 W / VA (non-LED loads) or Rated power: 2 – 100 W / VA (retrofit LED loads)
- Voltage: 230V / 50Hz, for which mains voltage the dimmer is designed
underneath with the characters “R” “L” and “C”: This dimmer is for resistive loads “R” (light bulb, halogen), for inductive loads “L” (NV with conventional transformer) and capacitive loads “C “(NV with electronic transformer) suitable.
Also suitable for dimmable retrofit LED bulbs (LEDs) on conventional or electronic transformers and dimmable retrofit LED bulbs (LEDs).
Below middle / right
You can use the dimmer as a normal on/off switch or as a changeover switch.
Terminals (designation on the dimmer) :
- Sinus line with an oblique arrow through (outlet to the dimming load (lamp)
- If the dimmer is to be connected as a changeover switch, the two correspondents must connect to the arrow terminals.
- If the dimmer is to be connected as an ON / OFF switch, the phrase “L” must be connected to one of the two terminals with an arrow.
Fine adjustments can be made to the mini-potentiometer, for example, to turn off a slight flickering or whirring.
Note: This dimmer in the picture above is an LED dimmer and very suitable for all Retrofit LED loads, (conventional bulbs exchanged for LED bulbs).
How to install a dimmer?
If you have decided to install a dimmer in place of your traditional switch, be aware that installation and connection work is very simple. We explain everything in detail in our step by step method for mounting a dimmer in your living room or bedroom, for example. If you do not know anything about electricity, be careful when handling it. The electric current can cause serious accidents. Here are the steps of the work to install and connect a dimmer.
Preparation stage: necessary tools and power cut
To install your electric drive, you will only need a flat screwdriver. If the tooling is necessary, the following step is essential: it is about cutting the electric current in the switch that you have chosen to replace.
To avoid taking unnecessary risks and to be sure to turn off the power at the right switch, turn on the light. Then, turn on the circuit breaker to turn off the power. Check that the previously lit lamp is off. You have cut the right switch, and you will be able to start doing your little electrical work.
Installation step of a dimmer
Before starting the installation of the dimmer, you will begin operations by removing the old switch. For this, you will proceed as follows:
- Remove the switch cover with your flat screwdriver.
- Remove the screws securing the switch.
- Pull the switch towards you slowly to gain access to the back of the socket and especially to the electrical wires.
- Loosen the electrical wires and release the switch.
Now you will be able to install your new dimmer. How to wire the dimmer? The wiring diagram of a dimmer is elementary, just refer to the manufacturer’s installation instructions. As a reminder, the green and yellow earth electrode goes in the middle of the socket; the blue wire is indicated by the letter N, and the red, brown, or black wire is indicated by the letter L. Also inquire about the color standards for electrical cables.
Here are the steps for connecting your drive:
- Connect the electrical wires to the back of the drive in the slots provided for this purpose.
- Put the dimmer in the recessed hole of the wall.
- Place the dimmer on the wall and tighten the two fixing screws.
- Clip the hood into the wall to embed the dimmer.
Now all you have to do is try it. For this, do not forget to put the circuit breaker back to bring back the electric current. Then, turn the knob to vary the light. You must also test the programming if you have opted for a programmable dimmer. Everything works, so much, the better! It’s up to you to enjoy the cozy atmosphere you dreamed of!