Smoke detectors are devices that give your home more security against a possible fire. As they perceive an early start of a fire in the room in which they are located and warn using an acoustic signal, they allow people in the home or business to get out quickly, even during sleep hours. Discover below tips on how to install a smoke detector and the process step by step.
There are two common types of smoke detectors, which are photoelectric and ionic. The most used are photoelectric, which detect the ignition produced by most possible fuels that are in the house, such as wood or fabrics, among others. Batteries can power them or plug into the power grid.
What recommendations should be followed before installing a smoke detector?
1. Choose the mounting location. Smoke detectors should be installed high on the walls or ceiling, away from exterior doors or windows. The optimum form of assembly would be in the center of the roof, although if this were not possible, they should be left 50 cm apart with the wall. This is necessary since the smoke in a room would move from top to bottom, which would allow the device to alert almost immediately.
2. Decide the number of detectors needed. If you have a house with more than one floor, it is necessary to install at least one smoke detector in each one, although it would be advisable to install one in each bedroom and the living room. In case of installing a smoke detector in the kitchen, it is necessary to move it away as much as possible from the cooking zone to avoid false alarms, for example, due to the effect of water vapor.
3. Avoid improper mounting locations. To avoid continuous false alarms, the devices should not be installed in dusty places, in the vicinity of fire sources such as fireplaces, near vents of air conditioning ducts or fluorescent lamps, since the starter These lamps generate magnetic fields that trigger the triggering of false alarms.
What materials and tools do you need to install a smoke detector?
- Smoke Detector
- Batteries according to the chosen detector model
- Screws and Studs
How to install a smoke detector step by step?
1. Place the base of the device at the installation site. Unmount the device and present the base on the wall or ceiling to mark the fixing points with the help of the pencil.
2. Drill the detector fixing points. With the help of the drill and the bit with the right diameter, make the holes in the marked points.
3. Place the studs. Once the holes are made, put the plugs to fix the detector in its position.
4. Insert the batteries in the detector. Insert in the detector the batteries you need for a proper operation, taking into account the polarity.
5. Join the detector with its base. Match the guides of the base with those of the appliance and turn clockwise until it is perfectly secured.
6. Check its proper functioning. Press the test button on the device. If the acoustic signal sounds, it means that the device works properly, so the installation is correct.
What maintenance does a smoke detector need?
To ensure the proper functioning of the smoke detectors for long periods of time, it is advisable to carry out maintenance tests.
- Check that the detector LED flashes every 45 seconds.
- Press the test button. In case you do not hear the acoustic signal or the sound is very low, you need to change the batteries.
- Change the batteries once a year. It is recommended that the battery change is made once a year. Always remember to perform a functional test by pressing the test button to make sure everything is correct.
- It is advisable to change them every ten years.
- Aspirates the dust from the detector holes. At least once a year, it is advisable to vacuum the detectors to eliminate waste, especially in the slots where the detector can detect smoke.