Solar pool heating is an economical and environmentally friendly solution to prolong the bathing season and increase your comfort. But how to install it? Guide-Piscine explains what solar heating is, where to install it, how to install it, and how much it costs to install and use.
Elements of a solar pool heater
A solar pool heating consists of several solar collectors and can be in two different forms:
- A soft mat that you can move at will
- One or more fixed rigid panels
But to work, solar heating needs:
- A filter to retain impurities
- A pump to suck water from the pond and circulate it through the filter and solar collectors
Where do you plan to install solar pool heating?
Solar heating does not install anywhere. For solar carpets, it is best to install them near the pool to minimize heat loss. On the other hand, rigid panels are usually mounted on the roof of your house or the pool enclosure. There are also other options designed by manufacturers such as solar floors that can be installed around the pool. In addition to the installation, you also need to think about the orientation. Expose your solar panels full south so that they are in the sun for at least 6 hours a day.
Good to know: the solar collectors must be installed between the filter and the discharge nozzle to avoid clogging the pipes of carpets or panels with impurities.
How to install a solar pool heater?
The installation of solar pool heating is not very complicated but requires some notions of DIY. Amateur refrain! Know that it is entirely possible to do it after the construction of the pool if you later decide to heat your pool water.
To install a solar pool heater, you have to go through several steps:
- Step 1: Assemble the different elements of the solar carpet or install the solar panels of the swimming pool.
- Step 2: Connect the solar collectors to the pool via connecting pipes. The first pipe connects the carpet or panel to the filter. It brings cold water to the solar collectors. The other pipe connects the solar collectors to the discharge nozzle of the pool and brings the sun-heated water into the pool.
- Step 3 (optional): install a bypass valve to shut off access to the solar panels when the weather is not useful or at night to avoid heat loss.
The power consumption of a solar pool heater
Solar collectors are entirely ecological and economical because they use solar energy to heat the water. On the other hand, the use of a pump is necessary for its operation, which generates electricity costs. The good news is that the pump consumes the same thing when used alone or coupled with solar heating. Solar heating does not increase the amount of your electricity bill.
How much does it cost to install solar heating?
The installation of solar panels to heat a swimming pool costs between 600 and 3500 euros according to the surface of the basin, the adapted technology, and if you decide or not to install a valve “bypass.” It is better to use a professional because working on the roofs is dangerous for individuals. On the other hand, a small solar mat for an above-ground pool can be installed without having a vast knowledge of DIY.