The surge arrester (or surge protector), is installed in electrical panels to protect the installations from surges due to lightning. Mandatory in some areas, it is strongly recommended in others because the effects of lightning on electrical and electronic equipment can be devastating.
Set up the surge arrester
Disconnect the differential switch
- Turn off the main power at the customer breaker and turn all circuit breakers off, then unscrew the panel cover.
- A table consists of a cover on a frame on which are clipped the different modules. The arrester will form the first security module, then come to the 30mA differential circuit breakers.
- Unscrew the high fixings of the differential switch at the top of the module line.
- Remove the neutral (blue) and phase (black) wires that connect it to the customer’s circuit breaker.
- Shift all modules to the right to install the surge arrester.
Interconnect and connect the surge protector
- Clip the surge arrester instead of the differential switch, then connect it to the neutral and phase wires from the subscriber circuit breaker.
- Insert the blue (neutral) wire on the N terminal and the black (phase) wire on the L terminal.
Perform the restart
Connect the installation
- Bring all the modules previously shifted to the top of the line, against the surge arrester.
- Connect the differential switch using connection combs. These are cut out with the cutting pliers.
- Insert the neutral connection comb, light blue side, onto the terminals of the surge arrester and the differential, and then screw it to the front panel.
- Insert the phase connection comb, visible black side, on the phase terminals of the surge arrester and the differential. Screw it on the front. The blue comb is thus placed behind the black comb.
Connect the surge arrester to the ground
- Use a ground wire (follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to determine the section) of up to 50 cm in length.
- Strip it 8 to 10 mm from both sides and insert it into the ground terminal under the surge arrester. Screw the fixing on the front.
- Screw the other end of the wire onto the terminal block of the board.
Check the installation
- Replace the panel cover after removing the number of blanks corresponding to the addition of the new module.
- Turn on the power and check that the surge protector lights up.
How to install a surge protector in an electrical panel so that it is effective?
As a result, the sensitive receiver is destroyed because its impact resistance voltage does not exceed 2500V.
– reduction of L1: connect the protection device near a bypass block
– Reduction of L2: install the protection device at above the surge arrester. The most effective solution is to use a surge protector with a built-in protection device
– L3 reduction: Use an intermediate earthing bar as close as possible to the surge arrester earth terminal, connect the earthing cable directly to this terminal block, then connect the terminal strip of the surge arrester and finally connect the intermediate bar to the main earth terminal