During the summer and the rainy season, ants establish their own colony, becoming flying ants. These insects are essentially in search of food and a place to lay eggs in peace. Although harmless, winged ants in the house can become uncomfortable, especially when it comes to hygiene. Many tips and products exist to get rid of it quickly.
How to Keep Flying Ants Out of My House?
Use repellents against flying ants
Flying ants work differently from wingless ones. This species is in the swarming phase, during which they seek to mate, eat, and establish a colony. Therefore, Winged ants are made up of males and females who only seek to ensure the extension and survival of their species, which pushes them to enter homes to find something to eat. However, there are various effective products to keep them away from the kitchen.
- The white vinegar: it scares away many insects, including the flying ants. To do this, pour the white vinegar into a spray bottle and spray the doors and windows. In this way, flying insects will not be tempted to enter the dwelling. If the ants are already inside the house, spray in their direction while leaving the windows open for them to leave.
- Geranium essential oil: it is a scented natural essence that keeps ants at bay. It is enough to put in moderate quantities on the dials of doors and windows to repel the insects. Also, pour a few drops in the kitchen, living room, dining room, and bedrooms so that the insects do not venture there. Do not hesitate to repeat the operation several times a week for the trick to be effective. Long-term treatment is even recommended.
- Peppermint essential oil: the process is the same as for geranium essential oil, but this product can also be diluted in water. The composition is to be sprayed in the direction of the flying ants to scare them away.
- Insecticides: these products sold commercially are intended to kill all invading insects. They are very effective, but many people opt for natural (or homemade) products that do not pollute the environment.
Eliminate the food source of insects
Winged ants only venture into a house if they have sniffed out food. It can be bread crumbs, a jam stain, drops of juice on the floor, sweets lying around, etc. To prevent these insects from infesting the house, the best trick is to remove their food sources.
- Do not leave food scraps in the kitchen. Whether for the flying ants or the workers, crumbs are a real source of the invasion. It only takes a piece of meat left on the floor to attract a whole colony. This advice applies to all rooms in the house, especially bedrooms, to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink. Even after cleaning the kitchen, flying ants can still be attracted into the house if dirty dishes are lying around the kitchen. The smell attracts these insects in droves. The solution is to wash the dishes after each meal or immerse the plates and utensils in water to wash up liquid.
- Close the bins with their lids. Even if they are outside the home, garbage cans are the favorite places for insects. In addition to ants (flying or not), flies are also attracted to litter. Although the bins are intended for depositing garbage, cleaning is required so that there is no dirt around the house.
Trapping the flying ants
If the winged ants are invading the house, there are many traps to catch them. Here are the tips for trapping them:
- Open a bottle containing a little syrup and leave it near the insects. These will enter the container and will not be able to leave it. Clean the bottle with water and remove the ants. Repeat the operation as often as the flying ants invade the house.
- Use the vacuum cleaner in the direction of the flying ants. The device will “suck” all the insects and kill them at the same time. Then empty the vacuum bag into a sealed container and throw it directly in the trash.
- Place sticky traps. It can be sticky paper or sticky tapes sold in stores. These traps are very effective and practical. Flying insects are attracted to these products and become trapped on the tape or paper’s surface with no prospect of leaking. Once glued, they die on the spot.
Opt for smart anti-flying ants tips
There are many clever tips for dealing with flying ants and other insects. This is the case for the following methods:
- Ventilator: Venting a house is not just about opening window shutters. On the contrary, you have to keep them closed and opt for a fan. Flying insects do not like the draft. By activating a fan at home, flying ants, flies, and mosquitoes will not stay.
- Electric Fly Killer: This device sends out small electrical charges that can kill insects like flies, flying ants, etc. Therefore, it is an accessory to have on hand to drive these pests out of the house. Leave windows open to drive them away.
- Sugar water deposited on the outside: In a small bowl, pour water up to the brim and place 2 sugar cubes inside. This solution attracts flying ants and prevents them from entering the house. Also, once they come into contact with water, they become trapped without the possibility of leaking. This trick is very effective in getting rid of these pests.
- Incense sticks: these products perfume the house and repel insects. They settle on the edges of windows or doors and give off a fragrant smoke that disturbs winged ants. However, this tip is not recommended in homes with infants or people with asthma.