Spikes, metal wires, repellents, synthetic hawks, there is no shortage of tips to keep pigeons away and prevent them from landing on balconies, terraces, cornices, gutters window sills. These birds are undesirable in cities because they can be invasive and cause damage planters and flower beds.
Use picks or wire
Pigeons dirty balconies and railings with their droppings. Also, their incessant cooing is annoying in the long run. Also, these birds can carry infectious diseases via fleas and transmit viruses through their feces. To repel them and prevent them from forming their nests, city dwellers often use metal picks. These devices are effective in preventing pigeons from taking up residence on cornices, terraces, and balconies:
- Glue several strips of picks to cover the desired length;
- Put them in the desired places by screwing them or gluing them to wood.
Easy to install, these picks are sold in hardware stores or specialty stores. These stores offer plastic supports to be glued on which the picks are fixed to avoid the use of large tools and facilitate their installation.
Lay metal wires
Instead of the picks, it is possible to use taut metal wires. They are just as effective and are more aesthetic. However, their installation comes at a cost. More discreet than peaks, metal wires are mainly used on window sills and balconies. To set up this device, here are the steps to follow:
- Secure the wire to two rods enhanced with a spring to keep everything taut;
- Install the rods on PVC supports;
- Glue them with polyurethane glue.
For more efficiency, it is possible to screw the rods into the stone using PVC dowels. Some cables rotate on themselves to destabilize pigeons that try to land on them on the market.
Install anti pigeon nets
Another solution to prevent pigeons from landing on terraces and balconies: nets. Rot-proof and resistant, they offer excellent protection. Also, they display exceptional resistance and constitute a lasting solution.
- To install the net, use the accessories provided for this purpose, particularly the small polycarbonate modules sold in hardware stores. They stick to all media, installing and uninstalling at will. Fasteners should be placed every 20 cm. In the corners, use two fasteners.
- Cut the net according to the dimensions of the balcony. Start with the angles.
Economical and easy to install, the metal wire is nevertheless less aesthetic. Fortunately, there are translucent anti pigeon nets in the shops.
Protect plants from pigeons
Why not install picks and sticks on planters, vegetable gardens, and flower beds to protect plants from pigeons? The wooden spikes for making kebabs may well do the trick. In small pots, it is enough to push them firmly and deeply into the earth. For large pots, have small pots turned upside down to annoy the pigeons. They are also used as mulch to keep the soil cool in summer and shelter beneficial insects.
Scare the pigeons
Raptors are the natural enemies of pigeons. To scare them away, set up a synthetic hawk or owl in places where these invasive birds usually land. To do this, secure the raptor using a cable and a rotating attachment hook. There are also balloons on the market that reproduce the eyes of hawks or owls. These balloons are usually sold in sets of 3. Harmless and easy to set up, they are appreciated for their efficiency. Make sure to place them at the visible height of the pigeons. It is better to move the scaring systems regularly so that the pigeons do not locate them easily for better efficiency.
In shops, some manufacturers also offer boxes that emit effective ultrasound to scare away pigeons. They are fixed to the floor or the wall.
Use repellent devices
Aside from the mechanical devices, some repellents are just as effective in keeping pigeons and other unwanted birds away. Spices such as pepper, curry, or cinnamon can deter them from coming back. Please note that food should not be left on the balcony or terrace. It attracts them. Pigeons can’t stand the sound of aluminum. They also hate anything that glitters. So, to scare them, just:
- Stick two CDs against each other;
- Hang everything on a wire;
- Secure on the railing. The sunlight reflecting off the CDs will disorient them.
As with synthetic raptors, it is recommended to move the CDs from time to time to surprise and scare the pigeons effectively.
Keep pigeons away from windowsills.
Pigeons tend to defecate on windowsills. A sheet of Plexiglas or PVC 2 to 3 mm thick attached to the window sill with an adhesive can do the trick to dissuade them. Pigeons and other birds will find it difficult to land. Here are other repellent devices to scare away pigeons:
- Attach a windmill (children’s toy) to the balcony to act as a scarecrow.
- Easy to use, the repellent spray repels them olfactory. It contains essential oils, which must be renewed regularly if the spray is exposed to rain. Note that this solution is also effective against crows, crows, starlings, seagulls, and magpies.
- Instead of the spray, use repellent gel that forms a kind of barrier to destabilize them. The gel is applied to window sills, gutter edges, cornices, and awnings.
- Sprinkle repellant granules on window sills, balconies, and cornices every two weeks or so.
If these different methods do not work, it is possible to seek professional help. The electric repellents will prove to be drastic. They emit weak electric shocks. Before proceeding with their installation, it is strongly recommended to check with the authorities.