The sealant is the material that professionals use to cover interior and exterior spaces and folds between building materials in your home during construction. This toothpaste-like material fills the voids to form a smooth bond and prevent moisture from penetrating the building materials. You need to maintain the sealant to ensure the permanent protection of your home. Before applying the sealant, however, you must first learn to use your caulking gun properly.
Load your weapon
• Cut off the tip of the putty tube with a razor blade. Look at the tip of the probe to locate the angle marks. (Each brand is labeled as 1/4, 1/2 or another measure). Find the right brand for the job by hand and cut along the inclined line to get its opening in the tube.
• Place the 16d nail in the opening and press to pierce the diaphragm inside the tube. Remove the nail, clean it with a damp cloth, and set it aside for use on the next sealant tube.
• Place the bottom (wide end) of the tube on the back of the tail gun so that it faces you. Place the tip of the tube in the groove of the gun with the long tip of the angle cut upwards.
• Place the plunger on the back of the gun firmly in place inside the tube and squeeze the trigger until the putty comes off the tip. Press the pressure release button on the gun. (Or turn and pull the plunger to release the pressure and slide the plunger forward again after releasing the pressure.) Clean the tip with a damp cloth. Now they are loaded and ready to seal.
Download your weapon
• Press the pressure release button on the gun (or turn the plunger and pull the gun completely back). Clean the tip of the tube and clean the entire gun of any excess caulking.
• Lift the tip of the free tube from the slot in the front of the gun and pull the tube from the gun housing. Your weapon is unloaded and ready for a new tube.
Remove the empty tube and do not forget to keep your gun, your hands, and other cleaning tools before, during, and after use. Caulking and wetness came out of your caulking gun and other tools will cause the gun to malfunction and give you gaps in your caulking job.
Tips and warnings
- Some caulking guns are equipped with a tip cutter or a RAM bar. If so equipped the caulking gun, use these tools instead of a knife and nail 16d to cut their ends and pierce the inner membrane of the sealant tube. Please read and follow all manufacturer’s instructions before and during the use of the caulking gun.
- Razor blades pose cut and puncture hazards. Please use caution and common sense when using knives.
- Caulking guns represent a pinch point risk. Be careful when you grip the gun to ensure that no part of your body is where it can be damaged.
- Sealer is non-biodegradable. Dispose of used tubes and contaminated rags legally and environmentally.