Enjoy the best guide of the whole world online in which you will learn how to create homemade binoculars from scratch, all the information you need to know along with the cheapest or free materials you can find …
Binoculars with cardboard tubes, Ideal for children!
This type of binoculars is elementary; we can say that they are the cheapest since almost all the materials that are necessary for their creation can be found at home. Let’s see them!
To make these powerful binoculars, you will need the following materials:
- Two cardboard tubes (you can reuse the toilet paper tubes)
- Cold silicone
- Felt (to line the tubes)
- Elements for decoration
- Stamen or wool
If you do not know where to find these materials or, failing that, you do not have them at home; we recommend you ask them to a friend or your closest trusted neighbor, the latter can almost buy them here:
Procedure in 5 + 1 easy steps
Once you have all the materials at hand we will start with the procedure, make sure you follow the steps correctly, and if you make a mistake, remember that you can always try again:
- The first thing you must do is to cover both rolls of cardboard with the felt of the color you chose, for this, you must measure with your ruler the dimensions of the tube, then plasma the measurements of the tube in the felt and cut it leaving a longer finger so that the Felt is well attached.
- When you finish this process, it is time to start gluing, with the cold silicone smear the ends of the cardboard tube and place a little in the middle, carefully glue the felt, repeat the process until the tube is completely covered, do what same with both tubes.
- Then put silicone to join the binoculars, make sure to do it by the part where the felt is attached to the cardboard, this way they will be much neater, once you have finished with this process, cut out a piece of the feeling of a different color. (This step is significant, so we recommend that you measure the size of the cardboard tube, divide that measurement in half).
- With the help of a cold silicone stick, this strip of felt right in the middle of the binoculars; in this way, you will see a nice contrast between one color and another. Now, it’s time to decorate, for this, you can use diamond, permanent markers, or whatever you can think of.
- Finally, you must put a small rope so that to carry binoculars from one side to another is simple, for it you will use wool, cut a total of 30 strips of at least 50 cm long, put them all together, then make a knot to join them all at one end.
- Once nested, you must make a braid, taking care of the shape and design of the strip. When you have finished braiding, make a final knot, this way, you will have a resistant and comfortable tape. To conclude, stick both ends of the binoculars using silicone, let it dry at least one night, and that’s it, your little one will have some beautiful cardboard binoculars.
How to make binoculars with soda cans
This is an option for those who want a much more resistant and striking project. To make these beautiful binoculars, you will need the following materials:
- Two cans of soda
- One thick ribbon
- Remove enamel
- Can opener
- Ice cream or acetate caps
Steps to make them
- The first thing you should do is look for two fresh cans whose advertising can be removed easily, once you have them in your hand, remove all the plastic or paper with the brand information, culminated this step, use the opener to remove the top part and the bottom part very carefully.
- With the help of the tweezers, you must make sure to tighten the edges of the cans; in this way, the excess of metal will remain towards the inside, preventing the child from being hurt by the can.
- Re-wash the cans using degreasing soap, this will eliminate the smell of soda, then dry the whole can very well. With the hot silicone, make a thick line through the inside of the can, just at the edge, so that there is no roughness in it.
- For this step, you must have four transparent ice cream caps, or if you do not have four circles of acetate to place them in the holes, this will give the sensation that the binoculars have real crystals.
- In the case of finding transparent plastic caps, you must use the enamel remover to eliminate the date and price of the surface. You can also use a sheet of used acetate; you should only clean it with remover enamel or conventional alcohol.
- Measure the transparent plastic on the front, with a permanent marker copy the edge of the circle, and with a scissors cut the excess trying to be as accurate as possible, then place a little silicone and stick the plastic, repeat this procedure until the four faces are covered.
- Cut the 1 cm thick felt strips and cover all edges to cover any imperfections. You should also cut strips of 5 cm thick; these should stick them in the middle of the cans, covering the entire circumference; this way, it will be much more comfortable to grip the binoculars.
- Finally, measure the length of the ribbon and make sure there is enough so that your little one can place it on the neck comfortably, then cut a piece of ribbon and glue it on the felt to cause a nice visual effect.
- To fix the ribbon strap, you have two options; for the first you just have to stick the ends of the tape with hot silicone, however, it is necessary to say that this union is not usually very resistant, so, it is much more advisable to fix it with small manual sewing.
What do I get doing myself? 3 Advantages you did not know
- Doing handicrafts is a beautiful way to encourage the child’s creativity; it also helps to create or strengthen the bond between parents and the small family member, without mentioning that it is an enjoyable activity.
- So, if you are bored and do not know what to do to kill time, then you have nothing to worry about, we bring you an incredible proposal. Make your binoculars at home, all with entirely recyclable materials.
- In this way you will spend a pleasant moment with your children and help to save the environment, then do not waste any more time and start making those binoculars that you want so much.