Three-dimensional holographic animations are no longer the science fiction domain, and anyone can create these special effects with little. This tutorial allows you to make a hologram with your smartphone, thanks to a few ingenious tips. A few tools necessary for the projection and the magic of the holographic images operate.
What is a hologram?
A hologram or holographic image is a three-dimensional displayed image that can be animated. If the creation of this special effect is still technically difficult and requires sophisticated equipment, simply making a hologram with your smartphone is possible, thanks to a few clever processes. Young and old will be impressed by the magic of the homemade 3D animated image. Indeed, the image displayed on the mobile phone screen placed horizontally goes into three dimensions and can come to life by placing a simple inverted pyramid in the middle of the screen. However, the images must come from a video specially created for this purpose.
What you need to make a hologram with your smartphone
Before starting, we must gather the necessary for the manufacture of the 3D projection screen to display the holographic images.
For the manufacture of the projection screen, you need:
- A semi-rigid transparent material, ideally plastic cut from a CD case;
- The glue super glue type, or plastic fast-drying glue;
- Scotch tape or transparent adhesive tape;
- Scissors or a cutter;
- Graph paper;
- A pencil, pen, or fine point marker;
- A metal ruler, preferably as a plastic ruler, may be damaged by the cutter blade.
For the projection of the holographic image :
- A smartphone;
- An image for a hologram on a smartphone, more precisely a video specially designed for the hologram;
- An inverted, transparent pyramid with a cut point that will act as a holographic projection screen.
Although it is possible to choose a flexible plastic material easily cut with scissors, it is preferable to opt for semi-rigid plastic. This is a prerequisite for easier assembly. Like the case of a CD, semi-rigid plastic has better optical properties compared to soft plastic. Its assembly is also easier.
The steps to make the holographic projection pyramid
It is advisable to use a millimeter sheet to draw a pattern first, then transfer it to the plastic surface. This process facilitates cutting and ensures that all four sides are the same size.
- Draw an isosceles triangle 3.5 cm high and 6 cm large base, and 1 cm small base to obtain the truncated pyramid. The ideal is to start at the top with the small base of 1 cm before tracing the oblique sides and the large base;
- Cut out the pattern with scissors, taking care to make a clean cut;
- Transfer this same pattern to the plastic for cutting the four sides of the pyramid ;
- Draw the faces of the pyramid from the pattern, using a fine point marker or pen;
- Cut the plastic with the cutter, making sure to keep enough usable surface for the 4 sides of the pyramid;
- To facilitate cutting, make several passes with the cutter.
It is also possible to trace the truncated point pyramid’s entire pattern before transferring it to the transparent plastic material. The result is cleaner, but cutting is difficult, which requires the use of a softer plastic.
When cutting, you must hold the cutter firmly and follow the lines well for clean results. It is also recommended to take plastic that does not have scratches. This will optimize the display of holographic images. Likewise, a flat plastic plate will facilitate cutting. Of course, the work must be done on a surface provided for this purpose, such as a wooden board, for example.
To assemble the pyramid projection screen.
Assembling the four sides of the pyramid is the next step. To achieve it:
- Place two triangles side by side and connect them using a piece of tape or transparent adhesive tape;
- Place the other two sides, previously assembled with tape, against the previous two;
- Join the four faces by their sides by folding them and checking that they touch each other well;
- Tape the pyramid with the truncated tip using pieces of tape;
- Check that there is no space between the angles;
- Glue the angles using super glue by putting a few dots of glue in several places of the angles, at the level of the truncated point, and of the base;
- Remove the pieces of tape if necessary, being certain that the structure is stiffened by the glue and after adequate drying time.
Find a specific video for projecting holographic images.
To make a hologram with your smartphone, you have to find a specific video. This must display 4 identical images and specially arrange them on the cell phone screen so that the pyramid can be placed in the middle. To find one, all you have to do is go to a special video content search engine, then fill in the terms “hologram,” “video,” and/or “pyramid.”
To view animated holographic images.
Once the special video is downloaded, there are some precautions you should take. To better appreciate the special effect, the experience should be held in a dark room. Once everyone is settled in, start the video, place the cut-point pyramid in the middle of the four images, and watch the mini-show. Holographic images are produced by the reflection of patterns displayed on the screen from the inverted pyramid’s faces. This is why you need a special video with 4 images broadcast simultaneously and arranged in a specific way to obtain the hologram. To enhance the special effect, one should not hesitate to increase the screen’s brightness while making sure to turn off the light in the room.
Some tips and precautions to enjoy the projection of a video in hologram
When handling the cutter, more precisely during cutting, it is recommended to firmly and confidently hold the tool. The cutting quality and the final result depend on it. If a tablet is used instead of a smartphone, it is sufficient to increase the dimensions of the four sides of the pyramid. This precaution makes it possible to maintain the proportions and to obtain the same quality of holographic images. Thus, a tablet should widen each side’s large base to 10 cm, bring the small high base to 2 cm, and the height of each triangle to 7 cm instead of 3.5 cm.
If you can’t find a CD case, it is possible to buy semi-rigid plastic on sites specializing in DIY. They also offer all of the tools listed above.