A mechanical pencil is an excellent tool for drawing, sketching, and writing with all the advantages of an erasable pencil, but without the hassle of needing a pencil sharpener to maintain the tip correctly. You can make your heavyweight pencil by using a metal bar and simple metalworking tools. You can also decorate your homemade pencil as you see fit and it will also give you great satisfaction the next time you need a pen.
- Remove a steel bar from a recycled photocopier machine. The diameter must be of the thickness of the mechanical pencil, and it will serve as the body for the internal mine and the spring mechanism.
- Cut the two ends of the bar approximately 6 inches (15 cm) so that the terms are completely flat. Press a piece of the flat end of the rod and drill through the center of the bar to open a hole using a drill. For greater precision, hold the bar within a stock of perforation so that it stays stable during rotation and then inserts the bit into the bar.
- Use a bit against the side of one end of the bar to make parallel lines 1/16 of an inch (0.1 cm) wide around the surface that will be the handle of the mechanical pencil.
- Remove the lower part of the metal pen, including the spring and the internal charging mechanism. Alternatively, you can buy these pieces separately in an art or carpentry store.
- Cut threads inside the mechanical pencil. This will be where the rescued metal tip of the metal pen will coil. Cut the metal pen cap to fit the other end of the mechanical pencil case.
- Thoroughly polish the entire body of the mechanical pencil to remove any metal chips left from the perforation and cut.
- Screw the metal pen into the upper part of the mechanical pencil. Insert the mine and the mechanism of the innerspring into the mechanical pencil, then seal it by placing the bushing on the lower part. Work it with a hammer or mallet if necessary.
You can make a pencil holder by cutting a piece of metal and bending a small right-angled flange approximately 3/8 inch (0.3 cm) at one end. Drill a hole in the rim large enough for the bush to pass through. Of the. Thoroughly polish the pencil holder to remove chips and then reassemble the mechanical pencil so that the tab with the hole, in the end, is between the pencil body and the sleeve, and the pencil holder is flush against the mechanical pencil.