The insecticides indeed offered on the market offer optimum effectiveness against flies. However, the chemicals used to make them often pose a real danger to humans and the environment. This is why it is always better to go for natural alternatives that are just as effective.
How to Make Fly Repellent at Home?
It is mainly food scraps and dirt that attract flies. The kitchen and the bathroom are their favorite places. It is thus advisable to have irreproachable hygiene of life to avoid attracting them at home.
- Throw leftover food and crumbs directly in the trash.
- Close the trash can and, of course, empty it regularly.
- Clean the kitchen regularly and wash the dishes immediately after each meal.
- Polish cooking appliances to remove grease deposits.
- Avoid storing dishwater for too long.
- Store food in airtight boxes.
If despite everything, the house is invaded by flies, more drastic solutions are required.
Repellent based on water, peppermint, lavender, and witch hazel
Besides bringing a sweet scent to the garden, lavender naturally repels insects, including flies. Besides, the strong smell of peppermint is also known to drive away from the most stubborn flies. The first step is to extract the essential oils.
- Bring 500 ml of water to a boil.
- Let cool for 3 minutes.
- Lightly crush lavender and peppermint.
- Immerse the herbs in the preheated water.
- Cover the mixture while it cools to prevent essential oils from escaping.
- Filter the mixture into a container using a coffee or tea filter.
- Add 500 ml of witch hazel, which will serve as a binder. Otherwise, it is possible to use 70% alcohol.
- Pour the mixture into a spray.
The natural fly repellent is ready! It only remains to spray it inside or outside the house. The product obtained is 100% organic and does not represent any danger for children.
Clove-based fly repellent
The smell of cloves also repels flies. It suffices to have a few here and there to scare them away. This trick is effective both inside the house and outside. For the toughest flies:
- Arrange half an onion on a plate.
- Plant ten or more cloves over its entire surface.
This trick also works with an apple instead of an onion. It is also possible to place the same ingredients in a small fabric bag before placing it in the room or rooms frequently visited by insects.