Painting a wall is the easiest and cheapest way to change up your decor. With the right tools and the right technique, you can repaint a room in less than a day, two at most.
Whether it’s to simply redecorate your interior, or if you are planning to sell your home, painting a wall does not require a call to a specialist. You can easily do this yourself but follow a few rules.
Are you tempted to paint an interior wall? So here are our tips and tricks to get the best result.
Tips and tricks for painting a wall easily:
1. Preparation before painting a wall
Before even applying the paint, you will need to prepare the surface to be painted. Here are some tips and important steps before you start painting the walls in the house:
- With a cleaning and degreasing product, wash the wall thoroughly and rinse well.
- Then observe the surface. If there are any holes, they should be repaired with the appropriate product, such as a filler. Apply this product in thin layers, allowing it to dry between each application.
- Sand with sandpaper so that the repair is invisible under the paint. When it is completely dry, pass a damp cloth to remove all traces of dust.
- Then all you have to do is remove the wall plates from the switches, and other decorative items that are on your walls and that you want to protect.
- Using adhesive tape specifically designed for this purpose, protect the frames, the floor or any other adjacent surface that you do not want to paint.
- Make sure you also cover the furniture in the room if you can’t get it out, as well as the floor with a tarp or old sheet.
2. Apply a primer before painting an already painted wall
Although not always necessary, applying a primer will help you achieve optimal results. Especially if you want to paint an already painted wall a darker color, if the wall is still rough, etc.
One or two coats may be necessary, depending on the condition of the wall. Wait until it is completely dry before moving on to the next step.
3. The right tools for painting a wall
Now that you’re ready to paint your wall, make sure you have the right tools:
- A good quality angled brush
- A handle and a paint roller adapted to the type of surface of your wall
- A container for the paint to be applied with a brush
- A tray, or tray, for paint to be applied by roller
- Linens or paper towels in case of damage
- Plastic bags to store roller and brush between applications, to prevent them from drying out.
4. How do I cut out a wall to paint?
To paint a wall, we start by making the outlines with a brush, which is called cutting. To do this, dip the tip of your brush in the paint, and let it drip to remove the excess.
Then apply the paint to the wall with the angled part of the brush, starting at one of the top corners of the room. Be sure to follow the line of tape. Make strokes as smooth and as straight as possible.
To paint a wall without touching the ceiling, it is good to paint a wide strip with a brush. When you get to the roller painting stage, you won’t need to be very careful not to touch the ceiling.
5. How to paint a wall with a roller without streaks?
Some paints, including Benjamin Moore’s Aura, require the decoupage paint to be allowed to dry before applying roller paint. Make sure you read the specifications of the product you are using before you begin.
If not, it’s time to paint the wall surface using the roller. Soak your paint roller well, and remove the excess by passing it over the flat part of the paint tray.
The best way to paint with a roller without streaking is to apply the paint in alternating “M” or “W” patterns, back and forth over the same section until it is completely fulfilled. You can then move on to another section repeating the same pattern.
With most paints, you will need a minimum of two coats for the best result. Wait until the first coat is completely dry before applying the second, using the same technique.
6. How do I paint a wall white?
We see more and more pretty interiors painted in white in decoration magazines. If you’re tempted to try this look for your home, choose the right white first. Indeed, there is an impressive multitude of shades of white! Some warmer, others cooler, shades of gray, green, yellow, etc. Do not hesitate to seek advice from an expert.
Once you have chosen your paint, to paint your wall white, start by applying one or two good coats of primer. Let dry completely, and apply your white paint using the technique mentioned above. For a flawless result, apply two coats of paint, letting it dry well between each.
7. How to paint a wall in two colors?
To paint a wall in two colors, follow the same steps:
- Cleaning and degreasing
- Applying a primer
Then, when your primer is completely dry, apply painter’s tape to mark out the areas to be painted.
If you have decided to divide your wall horizontally, start by painting the top part, cutting out first and then applying by roller.
Then let it dry well for 24 to 48 hours. Remove the tape, and apply some clean to the dry top paint, to paint the bottom part that you will do by following the same steps.
8. What paint to buy to paint the walls of the house?
It is important to always use quality paint when painting interior walls. Indeed, quality paints will be more expensive, but they will give better results. Check that your paint covers well, that it is washable, stretched and that it offers good whiteness.
Choose a matte or satin paint for interior walls?
- Matte paint will not retain light and will be effective for a cozy atmosphere. It will camouflage imperfections well, but will unfortunately be more difficult to clean.
- Satin paint, as long as it will be useful for rooms with more vivid atmospheres. It will retain light well and will be much easier to clean than matt paint.