Rabbits like to hang out in the garden looking for food. They are difficult to spot since they move stealthily after the sun goes down. However, these small animals can cause considerable damage to the garden. Therefore, at the first signs of the vegetable garden or young trees’ degradation, it is necessary to check whether or not they are indeed rabbits. If so, here are the methods to get rid of it.
Rabbits: garden pest animals
Rabbits eat a little of everything in the garden. They mainly attack vegetables in the kitchen garden, orchards, young trees, certain ornamental flowers, and dandelions. However, there are some plants and vegetables that rabbits don’t like, including:
- The corn ;
- Peppers ;
- Tomatoes ;
- The large-flowered snapdragon;
- The Sage of the diviners;
- The Coleus;
- The alyssums;
How do you know if rabbits are roaming the garden?
Rabbits are hard to spot, let alone catch them. Indeed, these furry animals do not come out until dawn and sunset. Here are different signs that prove they are roaming the garden:
- An angular cut of 45 ° on the tips of leaves and stems;
- Woody plants are stripped of their bark up to 30 cm from the ground;
- Of excrement rabbits in the garden (the size of a pea and having dense granules);
- Small peculiar prints with five toes for the front legs and four for the rear legs.
How to keep your garden away from rabbits
To avoid any intrusion by rabbits, it is essential to install a fence around the garden. It is necessary to provide a mesh of at least 60 cm in height and have meshes of 2 cm at most. As for the installation, here are the steps to follow:
- Bury the wire mesh in the ground 30 cm deep;
- Let the mesh protrude above the ground by 80 cm to 1 m;
- Protect young trees with a 60 to 70 cm high chicken netting.
For even more satisfactory results, an electrified fence is the best solution. To install it, all you have to do is surround the plot of land to be protected.
Make a rabbit repellant.
Rabbits have a sensitive sense of smell. Therefore, it is recommended to exploit this point to scare them away, in particular, by using various fragrant or spicy products. To make a repellent, a few steps must be followed:
- Fill a large container with water, for example, a 4 L milk jug;
- Pour in a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid and a tablespoon of hot sauce ;
- Close the can, then shake vigorously;
- Leave the can in the sun for a few minutes while the ingredients mix well;
- Pour the resulting solution into a sprayer;
- Spray garden plants early in the evening;
- Repeat spraying every two to three days or after it rains.
By consuming the plants sprayed with the repellant, rabbits will experience disgust and stop eating. Thus, they have no other choice but to look for their food elsewhere.
Use a natural and organic repellant.
Besides dish soap and hot sauce, other ingredients make a rabbit repellant. These are the garlic clove, red chili, black pepper, and eggs. For the composition, you need:
- Mix in 4 L of soapy water:
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of crushed red peppers;
- 5 to 8 crushed garlic cloves;
- A few pinches of black pepper;
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of another strong spice;
- Raw eggs.
- Pour the mixture into a sprayer, then shake well;
- Spray the plants and the soil surrounding the garden.
Trapping the rabbits
Being clever animals, rabbits are difficult to capture. The best way to catch them is to set up traps. For this, a collar without a tie will be perfect. To make one, here are the steps to follow:
- Cut a piece of a cable of about 80 cm;
- Bend one end of the cable to create a loop nearly 2 cm in diameter;
- Wind the loop around the cable 5 to 6 times to obtain a sort of noose ;
- Pass the other end of the cable through the slip knot;
- Pull the end of the cable through the slip knot to close it;
- Drill a hole in a wooden post or stake;
- Pass the cable through the hole, then wind it until it forms a slip knot;
- Firmly plant the stake in an area frequented by rabbits (near barriers, under a bush, along tall grass, etc.);
- Angle the knot about 15 to 20 cm above the ground.
This trap’s principle is simple: the rabbit will enter halfway into the snare, which will tighten on the animal. Thus, the latter will not be able to move.
Keep rabbits away with ultrasound.
A device emits ultrasound when it detects rabbits’ presence and mosquitoes, foxes, and different species of rodents ( rats, mice, etc.). This ultrasound emits a high-pitched noise and disturbs the nervous system of rabbits. As a result, the feeding and communication habits of these mammals are affected. This causes an imbalance in their biological functions and results in stress accompanied by pain. Thus, to avoid the ultrasound, rabbits prefer to leave the premises to settle in a safer place.
However, it should be noted that ultrasound devices have a few drawbacks:
- They cannot be installed near the house if the occupants of the premises have small children. Indeed, they can hear ultrasound and will be subject to a feeling of discomfort.
- Apart from rabbits, some models of ultrasound devices also disturb domestic animals (dogs and cats).
- Ultrasound cannot pass through walls. Therefore, if pests manage to get into the house, it will be necessary to equip the rooms individually.