Programming a remote control of a garage door opener from another remote is a task that can be completed in fewer than half an hour with a minimum amount of tools. Replacing a lost remote control or adding one for a new driver is a couple of reasons why you will need to program a garage remote control. Many new cars have remote controls for built-in garage doors and can be scheduled to work with your specific garage door. These controls are usually processed in the same way as those that come with the garage door.
- Use the ladder to get a close look at the garage door opener. Look for an antenna that comes out of it or a button that says, “Learn.” This can also be under the cover of the opener. Remove the cover to look under it. This usually does not require tools. If you can not find any button or antenna under the cover, look in an alternative place. Some openers have an external receiver. Search the surrounding walls to see if you can find an external receiver. The cover must also be removed to access the “Learn” button.
- Program the receiver. Press the “Learn” button. A small light on or near the button should light. You have thirty seconds from this moment to program the remote control.
- Press and hold the control button. Release it when you have seen that the light of the opener began to twinkle.
- Replace the cover on the opener or external receiver. Try the remote control.
- Have an assistant when you do the programming of the garage door opener that is part of the vehicle. As with the other controls, press the appropriate button until the light of the opener flashes. You will need one person in the opener and another in the car to press the button.
- If you keep pressing the “Learn” button too long, you can reset all the remote controls that you have configured. Your partner will not be pleased when he gets home and can not enter the garage.
- Follow the safety instructions. Keep people and pets away from garage doors while you are opening them.
You will need to
- A stair
- A garage door opener
- Remote control for a garage door opener