Many people think they should program the garage door opener on a HomeLink system that comes with their car. Maybe you bought the used car, and you do not have a manual, or you have a manual, but you find it difficult to follow. In both cases, it is not difficult to program the garage door opener. It should take no longer than 5-10 minutes, as long as you follow each step carefully. Having a helper will make the process run even faster.
If you are experiencing problems operating your garage door opener, read Troubleshooting for the most common garage door opener problems for advice on diagnosing the problem. The receiver, hand-held transmitter, and in-car transmitter must all be in good condition to guarantee success when programming the garage door opener.
The HomeLink system is available for a large number of cars and can also be purchased as an aftermarket product. It is compatible with almost all garage door opening systems, including Liftmaster, Chamberlain, Craftsman, Genie, Overhead Door, Allstar, and Wayne Dalton. The first requirement is that the garage door opener operates at a frequency of 288-433 MHz. You should be able to find the rate of your device on the back of the hand transmitter.
Programming your garage door opener
To program the garage door opener, you must raise and lower the door. So, to keep the process safe, make sure that children and pets stay away from the garage.
If you are ready to start, follow these steps:
- Always start with a new battery in the handheld transmitter. If you are not sure how old the battery is, go ahead and replace it.
- Turn the key to the accessory position (“ACC”) before you start programming the garage door opener.
- For a first time programming (or if you think the garage door opener has been programmed before), press the two outer buttons on the transmitter for about 20 seconds until the light starts flashing.
- On the transmitter, press and hold the button to be programmed until it begins to flash slowly (20-30 seconds). Press and hold the button for the next step.
- Take the hand transmitter in your other hand and aim it at the flashing light about 2 inches away. Press the control button on the calculator. As soon as the light begins to flash faster, the frequency is entered in the HomeLink transmitter. Release both buttons.
- This step is most comfortable with a helper. It would help if you had a ladder and, possibly, a flashlight. On the door receiver of the garage door (i.,e. the engine in the garage), press the training button (also called a “smart” or “learn” button). The switch may not be labeled, but there is a small light next to that flashes when the button is pressed. (Note: If the indicator light is lit continuously, programming is complete and the garage door opener has to work.)If the indicator light flashes (or flashes briefly before it lights up continuously), you have 30 seconds to perform the next step (that’s why it’s faster with a helper).
- In the car, while the key is still turned to ACC, press the button previously programmed on the in-car transmitter for three seconds. Remove your finger from the button and press again for another three seconds. If the garage door has not yet been moved, press the button for another three seconds. As soon as the door moves, the garage door opener has been programmed.
If the garage door opener does not seem to respond to programming, disconnect the receiver for one minute and try again. Make sure your new battery in the hand-held transmitter is correctly installed.
How to get the app to launch automatically when you arrive at your garage
In recent weeks, many of those who already have Park indoor installed have told us that you would like the system to have the automatic opening of the garage door when approaching it. As we have already communicated to those who have asked us, this is not a functionality that we consider short for issues of cell phone performance, excessive battery expenditure, and installation security (would lead to accidental or unwanted openings in many cases ).
One way to make the process of opening the garage even more comfortable and faster is to make the Park indoor application in the foreground on the screen when you need it, and this is possible! If you have an Android phone, you can configure your smartphone to get when you approach your garage with the car; the phone automatically opens the Park indoor application. Thus, you only have to click on “Open” so that the door is activated, and you can enter the parking lot.
What do you need?
This “trick” is based on your Android smartphone opening the Park indoor app when two conditions are met: it is located near the garage door and is connected to the car’s hands-free (This second condition is not essential, but it is recommended because, if we only use the location as a condition for the application of Park indoor for Android to be launched, this would be opened in many cases that is not necessary)
- Park indoor
- Mobile with Android 4.3 or higher
- An automation application
- Bluetooth handsfree in the car (recommended)
How to make the configuration?
We will make your Android smartphone perform an automatic action (open the Park indoor app) when two conditions are met: that it is located in a specific location (garage address) and that it is connected to a Bluetooth device (hands-free car). To do this, you must have an automation application installed on your mobile phone. Since the best known of these applications is Tasker (payment), we will explain the configuration using this as an example. Still, other alternative apps allow you to do something similar in the very same shape (Trigger, Macrodroid, Sven).
The first thing you should do is create a profile with the two conditions that must be met:
- – In location, be located at the garage door (within a radius of 30 meters). You can add the area either by GPS coordinates, place with your mobile, or by address. Also, you can choose to make the site only by mobile networks, by GPS location, or by both.
- – In a network, accept as a condition that the smartphone is connected to the Bluetooth device that you use as a hands-free car.
Then add the task to be executed, which is none other than “Load application” and select Park indoor.
From that moment, when you go in your car connected to the hands-free, and you approach the garage, the mobile will launch the application automatically, and you can open the door with a single gesture.