Bad smells in a house can be very unpleasant and uncomfortable for the occupants. These smells attack our nostrils, and unfortunately, it can be challenging to get them out of the house.
Fortunately, it is possible to camouflage its smells and make our rooms much more fragrant and fresh. We present the best tips and tricks for removing bad odors below.
Tips and tricks to fight against bad odors:
1. What causes bad odors in a house?
Several causes can be linked to bad odors in a house or apartment. Before even finding and testing tips and products, it is better to find the cause of these unpleasant odors.
Here are the leading causes of bad smells:
- The smell of damp and musty
- The smell of cigarettes and tobacco
- The smell of cooking in the kitchen (especially the smell of fish)
- The smell of cat litter
- The smell of pets
- The smell of pipes, etc.
2. Air to change the smell of a house
Aeration, indeed the first thing to do to eliminate bad odors in a house quickly. Whether it’s reducing the fishy smell in the kitchen, removing tobacco odors, or even the smell of fresh paint on the walls, it is essential to ventilate all the rooms in the house to begin with.
No matter the season, airing the rooms in the house by opening the windows is always right. It refreshes the home while helping to eliminate the bad odors that reign in the different rooms of the house.
3. Baking soda against odors
If you are a regular at Curiosity Insight, you may have noticed that baking soda is very popular in our tips and tricks. So there you have it, baking soda is an excellent product for removing and neutralizing odors in a home.
Eliminate odor from rugs and carpets:
- Sprinkle a little baking soda all over your rugs and carpets
- Leave it on overnight and the next day, use the vacuum cleaner to remove the baking soda.
The bad smell permeating your rugs and carpets around the house should be gone entirely thanks to the baking soda.
Eliminate lousy odor from pipes:
It is common for pipes to be responsible for bad odors in a house or apartment. Once again, baking soda can help neutralize this bad smell in the pipes.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of baking soda in the drain
- Then pour a cup of white vinegar and leave to act for 2 hours.
- Then pour boiling water to finish cleaning the pipe.
4. Remove bad smells in a small apartment
If you live in a small apartment with small rooms, it is possible to get an odor and humidity absorber. As its name indicates, this device allows us to absorb humidity and bad odors in a house.
But as mentioned above, this type of gadget is valid only in small spaces. For example, if you have too much humidity in your bathroom, the absorber can be a great purchase to deal with your damp and musty odor problem in the apartment.
5. Green clay to eliminate bad odors
The green clay is a natural solution to eliminate or at least control odors in a room of the house. If you prefer, you can also use white clay instead. The result should be similar in terms of odor effectiveness.
- Mix in a bowl 3 to 5 tablespoons of powdered green clay with a few drops of rose essential oil.
- Then place the bowl in a room of your house, in the open air.
- Each week, add essential oil to keep this tip useful.
You are offered rose essential oil, but you can also choose another flagrance of your choice according to your tastes. You can also use an essential oil diffuser, which will be even more effective in changing the smell of the house.
6. An essential oil diffuser to change the smell of the house
Indeed, the essential oil diffuser is a top-rated product these days to diffuse pleasant fragrances in the rooms of the house.
This device is above all useful for diffusing good smells in the house, in the apartment, or the office. If you have a real bad odor problem, it is better to find the source of the problem first because you may simply cover it up with a diffuser.
7. Bleach to remove bad odors
Bleach, although much less popular than before, remains an effective means of deep cleaning and deodorizing. Of course, you have to be careful about its use and the amount used, but in the end, this product can be useful in eliminating odors.
So when you wash your floors and counters, put a little bleach in your warm-hot water. Once all of your rooms have been cleaned, you’ll see how clean it smells everywhere. Bad smells will only be bad memories.
Be careful, though, because the use of bleach can damage certain surfaces such as hardwood and other materials, so be careful.
8. Apple cider vinegar and cinnamon
How about now to try out a homemade recipe against bad smells? Apple cider vinegar and cinnamon here is what you need!
Heat a little apple cider vinegar and cinnamon in a saucepan, and pleasant smell will emerge quickly.
If bad smells come from cooking and cooking a large fish, for example, you will see them disappear quickly thanks to this sweet, warm, and windy scent.
9. Liquid fabric softener to change the smell
As with the previous apple cider vinegar trick, this new trick allows you to release a pleasant smell everywhere in the apartment quickly.
Heat water (about 4 cups) over deficient heat with a little fabric softener. A good smell will be felt very quickly in all the rooms of the house.
You can also replace the fabric softener with lemon juice to have a 100% natural tip against odors.
10. A thorough cleaning of the house is essential!
If despite our tips and tricks, bad smells still reign in the house, then a big cleaning is necessary! How do you want the house to smell fresh if you don’t take the time to clean everything occasionally?
If you don’t like to do a lot of cleaning, then focus on cleaning individual rooms, furniture, and accessories in the house at a minimum.
Here is what you absolutely must clean to avoid bad smells in your home:
- Garbage cans around the house (you can sprinkle baking soda in the bottom after cleaning is complete)
- Toilets and bowls (wash the toilet weekly)
- Home rugs, rugs, and carpets
- The washing machine (wash and empty the washing machine at least once a month)
- The fridge
- Clothing that can give off a strong smell of sweat
- Shower and bath, etc.