Have you ever noticed that your copper or bronze objects always end up covered in verdigris? In other words, green and gray spots will appear on your objects, thus concealing their original color (therefore tanned or coppery).
Fortunately, if such a thing happens, there are some tricks you can turn to fix all of this. We, therefore, offer tips and tricks for removing verdigris.
1. Remove verdigris with ammonia
A super effective way to quickly remove verdigris from bronze or copper is to use ammonia. For this trick, you simply need:
- Mix water with ammonia.
- Rub the verdigris stain with a cloth.
- Rinse with soap and water
- Dry the object thoroughly.
This water and ammonia recipe is ideal for recovering the original appearance of objects stained with verdigris. They will thus return to their best quickly.
2. Claystone for verdigris stains
You may not know this natural trick, but your grandparents certainly do. Claystone is an all-purpose cleaner that can clean and shine in the house.
So if you are looking for a top product to clean verdigris stains on copper or bronze objects, claystone is the solution for you.
3. Remove everything with methylated spirits
How to remove verdigris? Simple, with rubbing alcohol or household alcohol. So if you need to remove the verdigris, here is what to do.
- Soak a cloth with methylated spirit.
- Rub the object stained with verdigris.
- Rinse with soapy water and pat dry.
For cleaning verdigris with methylated spirits, it is best to wear gloves to protect your hands. If you don’t have methylated spirits, you can also use household alcohol.
4. Baking soda and verdigris
Another useful product for cleaning verdigris is baking soda. If you don’t have one at home, don’t panic, you can buy it online a little lower. If not, here’s how to use baking soda to remove verdigris from your items:
- Cover the bottom of a bowl with aluminum foil.
- Boil 3 liters of boiling water.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of baking soda to the boiling water.
- Pour the liquid into the basin.
- Place the object stained with verdigris in the solution.
- Leave to act until the verdigris disappears.
Finally, to complete the cleaning rinse with soapy water and dry the object thoroughly.
5. Natural vinegar and coarse salt recipe
Do you want to discover another homemade and natural recipe to clean verdigris on an object quickly? Vinegar and coarse salt, that’s what you need. If the object is very encrusted with verdigris you must:
- Boil 2 cups of white vinegar.
- Dissolve a handful of coarse salt in the vinegar.
- Use a cloth and the liquid to rub the verdigris stains.
- Use a brush for stubborn stains.
Then rinse the object with plenty of water and a little soap. Be careful with gilded bronze because this anti verdigris recipe can damage this type of surface.
6. Lemon juice and salt against verdigris
If you have just discovered green stains on your bronze or copper objects, lemon juice can be a solution to help you clean the verdigris easily. Lemon juice is also widely used to prevent verdigris stains on cymbals, did you know?
You have two choices for removing a verdigris stain:
- Use a cloth and lemon juice to scrub the stains.
- Use a lemon wedge to rub the verdigris directly.
No matter what you use, it is essential to finish cleaning with a soapy water rinse of the object. Repeat a few times as needed to remove very stubborn verdigris stains from copper or bronze. This lemon juice and the salt tip can also be used to remove verdigris on coins.
7. Soda crystals, a trick to discover
Another trick to cleaning verdigris efficiently is to use the power of soda crystals. Here’s how to do this cleaning trick:
- Boil 2 liters of water in a saucepan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coarse salt.
- Add 3 tablespoons of soda crystals.
- Immerse the object stained with verdigris for a few minutes.
Finish with a rinse with soapy water and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth. Of course, this tip can be useful for small items that can easily fit into a cauldron.
8. Sorrel to remove verdigris
Sorrel leaves are a natural and effective trick to remove verdigris from different objects and surfaces.
Sorrel is a plant that grows wild in various countries. Its foliage is edible and can be used to dislodge stains of verdigris, surprisingly. Just rub verdigris stained objects and other stubborn stains with sorrel leaves for quick and efficient cleaning. All the verdigris will quickly be dislodged with the sorrel.
9. An anti verdigris product to discover
Of course, there are also products specially designed to clean copper objects as well as to maintain them and make them shine as if they were new.
One of the products that can deoxidize copper objects and remove verdigris is oxalic acid.
10. Greyish green on the pipes
In principle, copper pipes in good condition should not have verdigris on the inside. If there is indeed verdigris inside the pipes, it means that there is an air inlet and, therefore, a hole or a leak somewhere on pipe. It is essential to correct the problem by changing the damaged hose with a new one.
Of course, when it comes to plumbing, it is essential to hire a professional plumber to do the work around the house.
If you notice verdigris on the outside of the copper pipes, then you can use any of our tips and tricks above to clean everything up.
Removing the verdigris, visitors also liked:
How to clean copper? If you are looking for more tips and tricks for cleaning and maintaining copper, it’s here. Good discovery!
How to clean a wooden cabinet? Now that you can clean the verdigris on your items, it might be interesting to discover tips for cleaning wood furniture.
How to remove moss and green deposit? In addition to verdigris, here are moss and green deposits everywhere on the terrace and the paving? Here are some useful antifoam tips and products.