Nothing like a dimmer to bring you soft light and sieved, here’s how to replace a switch by a dimmer:
DIY category: electricity
Level of difficulty: 2/5 (1/5 being very easy)
Duration: 15 minutes to change your switch and replace it with a dimmer
Presentation of a dimmer
A dimmer is nothing more than a switch equipped with an electrical system to vary the current passing through it and, therefore, the lights it controls.
The necessary tools
- A flat screwdriver
- A Phillips screwdriver
- A dimmer + its cache
The steps to follow to replace a switch with a dimmer
- The very first thing to do is to turn off the power of the lighting you want to work on. If in doubt, turn off the main switch during the changeover.
- Remove the switch cover, using, for example, a flat screwdriver.
- Unscrew the screws used to fix the switch to the recessed box.
- Pull the switch, it only holds by the two wires.
- Remove the electrical wires, either by unscrewing the small fixing screws or by pulling on them for the modern switches.
- Install the wires on the drive-by inserting or screwing them.
- Place the drive in the box, pay attention to the electrical wires.
- Screw it to the box.
- Fit the appropriate cache to the drive.
- Turn on the power.
- Test the drive.