Spend a night with this accouterment is not passionate! If, like me, you have the annoying habit of changing position during the night, get ready … Sometimes I woke up with a start in the middle of the night, the air hose wrapped around my neck. To fire on the hose of the device, I ended up throwing it on the ground. So I installed it in a drawer, which allows me to hide it at the same time. In short, adapting to your new friend is not a sinecure and will ask you a good dose of tolerance and a lot of patience.
The adaptation to this solution, as well as the evidence of the benefits of the treatment, can take from 3 to 6 months. Also, it is normal to have a little trouble falling asleep with the mask the first nights; some models, a progressive mode (C-Flex) is available. But a relentless reality will strike you long-term when you realize you’ll have to wear it for the rest of your life.
Some problems of adaptation
- Dry nose – To prevent nasal dryness, choose an appliance with an integrated heated humidifier or use a nasal spray or soluble gel as needed. Adjust the heating level for your needs.
- Nasal Obstructions – Ensure good nasal hygiene using moisturizers, over-the-counter.
Warning! Decongestants with pseudoephedrine may help with colds. However, they are contraindicated in the presence of hypertension, heart, or vascular problems. Also, they can increase the difficulty of nasal obstruction if they are used for more than a week. Check with your pharmacist before using it.
- Dry mouth – If like me, you sleep with your mouth open, you will wake up with the dry mouth. Make sure you have no nasal obstruction. If this is not the case, using a chin guard could help you.
- Oral or facial mask – This mask covers the nose and mouth; the excess saliva that escapes from the mouth during the night will accumulate, harming the mask’s tightness and require you to remove it for drying. As a result, the face mask can be used only temporarily; you will need a long-term oral model.
- Air leak – Do not over tighten the mask straps. A slight escape of air is acceptable. With some masks, too much leakage will cause a vibration between the skin and the front and keep you awake. You will have to tighten the straps. Make sure you choose a mask that fits your size and fits the shape of your face. If you have nasal obstruction, breathing through your mouth may cause leaks.
- Wounds and redness – Wounds on the bridge of the nose are caused by a lousy mask design or by a mask too tight. I give a few lime strokes to the new mask to fit my nose. The mask must be tight enough to seal correctly, and the straps will inevitably leave red marks on your face. The use of frontal support, if available with the mask used, could improve its stability by reducing the movement of the mask, better distribute the pressure and thus reduce the redness.