The oven or kitchen thermometers are an ideal tool to cook birds, meats and other foods, verifying that their bacteria have been destroyed during proper cooking. The aspect is not everything, because appearances sometimes cheat. However, with an oven thermometer you ensure that, despite its exterior, the interior is well cooked, exceeding the minimum recommended temperature. In this way, you can healthily consume the food. As we show you how to use an oven thermometer.
Understand the necessary things
- An oven thermometer is a cooking appliance used to measure the air temperature of your oven or that of food while you cook it. These thermometers are so powerful that they can stand and measure high temperatures, from 37.78ºC to something over 300ºC.
- But, what is the use of this? Well, very simple: indicate when food has reached the ideal temperature level to be consumed healthily, eliminating the bacteria and harmful microorganisms previously contained, thus preventing diseases of animal or vegetable transmission.
- Next, we proceed to describe the types of furnace thermometers available and how to use them.
Digital thermometers for food
- Despite being the most expensive in the market, the thermocouple or thermocouples the fastest reading of all oven thermometers, calculating the temperature between 2 and 5 seconds. It is also suitable for all types of thicknesses. The way of use is done by introducing it into the food when it is out of the oven.
- The thermistors scan the temperature, in 10 seconds, and accept all types of thicknesses of food. However, it is also not designed to be used during cooking.
- The thermometer with cable for ovens measures the heat of the food in 10 seconds and can be used both inside and outside the oven.
- The fork-thermometer combination can only be used outside the oven and calculates the temperature by pricking the food for 2 to 10 seconds. It is also convenient for grilling.
Thermometers with a circular dial
- The instant reading thermometer is a bimetallic type, has the shape of a skewer and is used by placing it for 15 or 20 seconds inside the food, pricking it to a depth of about 5 cm for its thickest part, and never inside the oven, but with the food outside it. This thermometer is ideal for roasts, soups and casseroles.
- On the other hand, the oven-proof thermometer has to be inserted into the food at about 5 cm for its thickest part for 1 or 2 minutes. Also recommended for roasts, soups and casseroles, it is placed in the oven next to the food from the beginning, so that the temperature will gradually rise while cooking. Also, this is the only one (besides the thermometer with cable for ovens) recommended for use inside the oven during cooking.