The Chromecast Keys are fabulous and handy tools every day; they allow us to duplicate the display of our computer screen, smartphone, or tablet directly on a TV screen, and this wirelessly. With this key, you can watch photos and videos of your holidays directly on your TV or launch a Netflix, OCS, or Prime Video if your TV even if it is not a connected TV.
The principle of a Chromecast is simple, plug it on your TV, then start the wifi search and connect it to your internet box, finally, associate your mobile on the same wifi network to broadcast the content of this last on your TV screen.
If using your key at home is so simple, how can you use a Chromecast key while you’re away from home?
If the question may seem odd, it is exciting. Imagine, you must make a presentation on a screen in an office that does not allow you to use its wifi; it is impossible to set your key and, therefore, unlikely to cast your screen. Worse, if your home internet box no longer works, then you will not be able to throw the same information stored locally on your computer.
In both cases, your key is no longer available and is therefore of no use, but no panic, there is a straightforward solution to implement.
Your smartphone as a wi-fi access point to the Chromecast
We are more and more to own a smartphone, and thanks to him, we will be able to use our Chromecast in all situations.
Do not have wi-fi at home or in the office?
It happens, it’s rare, but it happens, if you do not have an internet box and or you do not use a wi-fi router, your smartphone will allow you to set up and use your Chromecast Key. For this, there is nothing complicated; just follow these lines:
- Appointment in the settings of your smartphone
- Look for Connections (wi-fi, Bluetooth, Data Uses, …)
- Click Mobile Access Points and Modem
- Enable Mobile Access Bridge, by moving the cursor to ON
- Click on “Mobile access point.”
- You will then be asked to name your access point and give it a password, fill in the fields, and keep in memory your information you will need later. Name of my Wifi network: Mysgm and, for example, my password Mot2Pass3!
Your access point is created, connect your Chromebook to the wifi network you just created
Google has simplified the installation of the Chromecast. First, you will need to connect the key to your TV.
- On your Chrome browser, you will need to install the Chromecast extension.
- Then click on the cast icon in Omnibar and select Options.
- On this page, click on Configure a new device Cast your Chromebook will try to find the key.
- Once the key is detected click on the default name, here Chromecast5567
- You will be asked to connect your Chromebook to the wifi network of the key, in my case Chromecast5567.b
- On your TV screen will appear a code, if it’s the same as the one visible on your Chromebook click Yes
- For the next step, you will be asked to name your Chromecast, then click LOOKS GOOD.
- We’re almost done, in this new window, you’re asked to connect your Chromecast to your home wifi network, or in our case to our Smartphone, so I’ll give it the name ” Mygsm” which is the one from my point of view. wifi access and password ” Mot2Pass3!”
- Finally, click Connect. Your Chromecast is ready, and you can use it without having a wifi network at home just with your smartphone.
Be careful in this case the internet connection will be charged the Fair Use of your mobile plan, so it is imperative to have a subscription to do so under penalty of ending up with a package out of your next bill.
Your Chromecast Key is already set?
The second scenario that I encountered, and having to move my Chromecast away from home, I just disconnected and reconnected in the meeting room where I had to make my presentation. Having no wifi access in this room, I again used my smartphone wi-fi access point; this time, I proceeded a little differently.
The technique is super simple, We will fool the Chromecast key.
My Chromecast is being connected to my internet box that has a network name and a particular password; I will make him believe that my Smartphone is my box. For that, I configured the access point wifi of my smartphone in the same way as my box, that is to say with the same name and the corresponding password. So when I activate my tethering on my phone, Chromecast recognizes it immediately as being my internet box at home.
Finally, I connected my Chromebook to the wifi of my smartphone to caster my screen directly on the TV in the meeting room.
With both of these solutions, you no longer have an excuse to wander your Chromecast key with you and share your Chromebook screen with everyone. Have you used these solutions? Give me your opinion. Ask me your questions for the rest of this article through your comments.