If I had to make the suitcase with the kitchen utensils that I can not give up, in it, I would go, in addition to my slow cooker of 8 liters and a set of glass bowls with lid, a vacuum packing machine. I know that it is an instrument that is not in all domestic kitchens, but I could not do without it. Many years ago, I heard about this method of conservation, and, after researching, wanting, and saving, I bought a Saeco Magic-Vac packing machine, which at that time were the ones that started corduroy. He gave me good service for more than ten years, combining it for a few months with an Alfa that did not convince me at all.
A few months ago, it was time to retire my old Magic-Vac, and I bought a FoodSaver FFS003X that adds a new function to those that added the old one: with it, you can pack foods that have a percentage of liquid. This same function, which does not make a total vacuum, serves to fill delicate foods without putting pressure on them. Being able to pack stews and other similar preparations have given me life, and now I can take advantage of and optimize what I cook very quickly.
Operation of a vacuum packing machine
The domestic vacuum packaging machines have an elongated shape and contain inside a suction mouth – into which the bags to which the vacuum is to be applied are fitted – and a sealing line to close them. It is effortless: the canner is opened, the bag already formed, and the contents to be packed are placed, the bag is adjusted to the suction mouth, closed, and a button is pressed to start the process. The air is expelled and, once the vacuum is complete, the bag is automatically sealed without intervention.
If instead of using bags you use rolls, you will have to form your bag. It is a less comfortable option, but it allows you to adjust the size of the bag to the content that you are going to pack. In that case, you will have to cut the bag to size and seal one end, placing it on the sealant, closing the packer, and pressing the sealing button.
Once this is done, you already have your bag, and you can proceed to use it as explained above. Vacuum packers usually also have a cannula for use with different accessories: cans, marketers, plastic containers, and caps to make the vacuum in bottles. As you can see, the possibilities are many, beyond the bags.
How to use vacuum sealer bags
Many customers have asked us how to make the embossed rolls to make the bags. They understand that you have to cut them, but then they are open on both sides, and you have to seal one of them. In this article, we explain with two different vacuum packaging machines how to place the embossed bags to make the vacuum correctly and also how to place the embossed rolls to make only the sealing on one of their faces. To make embossed bags starting from an embossed roll, we will see that it is enough to place the beginning of the registration (the mouth) on the sealing bar of the packaging machine but without reaching the vacuum channel. The lid is lowered and the vacuum button is pressed usually. As there is no bag in the vacuum channel area, the machine sucks in the little air in the channel and automatically seals the roll.
Advantages of a vacuum packing machine
The main advantage of having a domestic vacuum packaging machine is to be able to keep food fresh and in perfect condition for longer. Whether in the freezer, in the fridge, or the pantry, both fresh, cooked, or cold-free foods benefit from optimal preservation that protects them from burns, oxidations, and rancidity. The conservation time multiplies, and the food lasts between 3 and five times more. You only have to calculate how long food lasts typically in the fridge or freezer to realize the possibilities that vacuum packing offers you at home.
Sometimes – more than the desired ones – freezing food is condemning it to oblivion to be discarded months later when it reappears before you with a suspicious and unfriendly aspect. You know that when you leave food in the freezer, after a while, it tends to burn. The appearance it takes reveals it, with bleached and tempered parts, as a result of insufficient packaging that allows the formation of ice crystals. Vacuum packaging provides food to be sealed and completely isolated, preventing the water molecules present in the freezer from being deposited in the products and forming networks of ice crystals that spoil them.
Applications of a vacuum packing machine
- Keep food already cooked in bags, avoiding bulky containers, and can optimize the interior of your refrigerator and freezer. Double ball: you save space and money at the same time. Doing the vacuum will not throw cooked food back in the trash, as it will be kept in perfect condition for longer.
- Freeze the food by vacuum packaging and, in addition to lengthening its duration, by thawing it will be in perfect condition to avoid burns, which are so common in long periods of freezing.
- Keep the order in your freezer. Pack in bags keeping your shape flat, and you can organize your freezer as a file. You will be surprised by the new capacity of your freezer.
- It empties the sausages and cheeses. The sliced will not stay dry, and the whole pieces will retain all their properties. You can buy entire essays without fear of getting nasty in the pantry.
- Store the legumes and cereals packed in vacuum bags if you are not going to consume them in a while. It’s over with having a thousand boats with remains or open pockets making your market a pantry. Pack by distributing the contents so that a flat pack is easy to keep and mark the date of packaging in each bag to be aware of your viejunez and prevent them from becoming the uncorrupted arm of Santa Teresa.
- Marina food in a few minutes. When in a recipe they indicate that you should marinate food for several hours, it can give you a jamaica if you do not have enough time. The vacuum accelerates this process and can be done in a matter of minutes. To do this, vacuum the piece with its marinade inside a mariner vessel specially designed for this function. Of course, the mariner container also serves as a container for preserving food under vacuum.
- If you make sure your canner has a function for liquid foods, you will not need to use cans or tapers to pack your stews. You can keep your remains of fabadas, stews, lentils, etc., for much longer and without taking up much space. You can keep the vegetables that you have cut and bleached -swept slightly by boiling water- in the freezer—no more wasted food!
- What would be molar to be able to make the vacuum in canned preserves that are half to lengthen its duration longer? This can be done with a little trick. It would help if you had a vacuum cannula and a large vacuum canister that holds the pot in question. Close it loosely, insert it into the container and empty it. When the machine has indicated the end, open the vacuum container and remove the pot, now you can keep its contents for longer.
- Take advantage of that bottle of free wine. What do you do when you have half a bottle of wine left? Probably think about consuming it as soon as possible and beg because the wine does not get worse. If you have a canner and a vacuum stopper, you can keep the wines in better condition for a few more days. And whoever says wine says vinegar, oils, broths, or any other non-carbonated liquid that you want to keep in a bottle.
- If you cook it sous vide, having a vacuum packing machine will be very useful for preparing food in airtight bags without risk of the water in the bathroom filtering inside. You can also pack some food to cook in your slow cooker if you do not want them to pass a particular flavor to the stew or are too fragile. The best example is that of the cooked blood sausage. It may seem crazy, but if you put the vacuum-packed black pudding over a stew, you will prevent its flavor from being marked in the broth, and it will appear whole and extraordinarily tender after cooking.
- After all these tips, you should know that vacuum packaging does not replace the sterilization that takes place in the sterile or dull packaging process. Therefore it can not be considered that which you have packed as a preserve. Keep it in mind to avoid disappointment.