Nails can turn yellow for several reasons, including smoking or regular use of nail polish. This change in nail color is not very flattering; let’s face it. But if this is your case, don’t despair!
There are tips and remedies for whitening your nails at home. Here are our tips to help you regain beautiful white nails.
Tips to whiten nails naturally
1. Polish your nails to whiten them
If your nails start to take on a slight yellow coloration, you can probably whiten them by polishing them. Using a nail polisher, gently rub your nails.
2. How to whiten your nails with toothpaste
Whitening toothpaste, especially those containing baking soda, will help you whiten your nails in just ten minutes. Here’s how to do it:
- After removing the polish, put the toothpaste on your nails and let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes.
- After the time is up, take a nail brush or toothbrush to rub the nails under lukewarm water gently.
Therefore, whitening toothpaste is a simple, quick, and free (if you already have this toothpaste) trick to whitening your nails at home.
3. How to bleach your nails with hydrogen peroxide?
A finger bath with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda can be a very effective nail stain remover. To do this:
- Mix 125 milliliters of hot water with 1 teaspoon of 30% hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a small plastic bowl.
- Stir with a spoon until the powder dissolves in the solution.
- Soak your nails in the solution for 1 to 10 minutes or until the stains are gone.
- Then wash your hands with soap and apply lotion or moisturizer to your hands, as the peroxide can be harsh on the skin.
4. Whiten nails with a denture cleanser
Dentures cleaners may contain one of the different active ingredients, but each cleanser contains a type of active ingredient capable of removing stains from hard, white surfaces.
Here is how to properly use this cleaning product:
- Start by dissolving one tablet of denture cleaner in a dish of lukewarm water according to the directions on the label. Make sure the tablet is completely dissolved to take full advantage of the cleanser it contains.
- Soak your hands in the diluted denture cleaner for five minutes.
- When finished, rinse the nails lightly with clean, lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment several times a week to have beautiful white nails.
5. Baking soda to whiten nails
Take advantage of the cleansing and whitening power of baking soda to whiten your nails. To do this:
- Make a paste with the baking soda by adding a little hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply on your nails and leave on for a few minutes before rubbing and rinsing.
6. Lemon juice to whiten nails
Lemon is very often used in recipes and home remedies. So why not use it for nail whitening? So to gently whiten your nails,
- Rub the nails with a lemon wedge for a few minutes, or until the yellow spots are gone.
- Rinse off and then apply moisturizer to your hands without touching your nails.
- Alternatively, pour enough fresh lemon juice into a bowl so you can soak your nails in it.
- Leave your nails in the lemon juice for a few minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
Lemon juice is a natural tip that will help keep your nails very white.
7. A finger bath to whiten your nails
To make a finger bath that will whiten your nails, use lemon juice and soapy water. Remember, this is a finger bath, not a foot bath!
- 60 milliliters of lemon juice
- 250 milliliters of lukewarm water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of mild liquid soap
Now here’s what to do:
- Mix the ingredients in a plastic or glass bowl
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 5 minutes.
- When you are done, rinse your nails under running water and apply lotion or moisturizer to prevent your skin from drying out too much.
8. Whiten your nails with vinegar
No one likes to have yellow nails. To easily blanch them, use pure white vinegar. Vinegar is a mild acid capable of removing stains from hard surfaces such as fingernails.
To whiten your nails with vinegar:
- Pour 250 ml of lukewarm water into a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of pure white vinegar.
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 8 minutes.
- When finished, rinse your nails under lukewarm running water and dry them.
9. How to have white nails naturally?
To whiten your nails naturally and without chemicals, here is a straightforward recipe with lemon juice and baking soda.
- Make a paste by combining fresh lemon juice and baking soda.
- Then, apply this whitening paste on your nails and let it act for a few minutes.
- Then, scrub with a nail brush and rinse well.
10. Salt and lemon to whiten your nails
Another natural tip for whitening your nails is to use salt and lemon juice, quite simply. Here’s how to make this natural recipe:
- Combine salt and fresh lemon juice to make a paste.
- Apply this mixture to your nails and scrub them with a nailbrush.
- Leave on for a few minutes before rinsing your nails well.
You can add a little baking soda to your mixture of lemon juice and salt for more efficiency.
11. How to have white nails instantly?
Don’t have time to treat your nails to whiten them? Get yourself a white nail pencil! These pencils used by manicurists are easy to use, and you will have white nails in no time. The ideal tip for people in a hurry like you!
12. How to prevent yellowing of the nails?
If you are a nail polish enthusiast, the best way to prevent your nails’ yellowing is to apply a protective base under the polish. It is also strongly recommended to give your nails a break and not to varnish them for a few weeks.
On the other hand, smokers should either quit smoking entirely or at least maintain their nails regularly to avoid yellowing of the nails.
Certain fungal diseases are the cause of the yellowing of the nails. If your nails take on a yellowish tint and you don’t know why see a doctor who can prescribe antifungal treatment.