Who won’t love to enjoy the beautiful changing color of maple leaves? Their cherries blossom during the spring and give a mesmerizing symbol of strength and endurance. Around 125 varieties of maple trees are available globally. But here, we come up with a comparison session on red sunset maple vs autumn blaze maple vs redpointe maple.
The hardiness zone of Red Sunset, Autumn Blaze, and Redpointe is 4, 3, and 5. Both Red Sunset and Autumn Blaze have an upright oval shape structure, whereas Redpointe has a Pyramidal shape. Redpointe has Brilliant Red fall color, but the other two maple trees have a red color.
- About Red Sunset Maple
- About Autumn Blaze Maple
- About Redpointe Maple
- Red Sunset Maple Vs Autumn Blaze Maple Vs Redpointe Maple: Quick Comparison Table
- Differences Among Red Sunset Maple, Autumn Blaze Maple, and Redpointe Maple
- Which One Is Better: Red Sunset Maple Or Autumn Blaze Maple Or Redpointe Maple?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Are red sunset maple trees messy?
- What is the brightest red maple tree?
- Do red maples have invasive roots?
- How fast does a red sunset maple grow?
- Do Autumn Blaze maples have invasive roots?
- Do Autumn Blaze maple trees have helicopters?
- Is red maple the same as Autumn Blaze?
- Is Autumn Blaze a hard or soft maple?
- Is Redpointe maple fast-growing?
- How long does a Redpointe maple live?
- Final Thought
About Red Sunset Maple
Red Sunset Maple has an excellent fall color, and leaves can turn into an eye-catchy shade of red and orange.Its leaves are medium to dark green, and their length can be between 2 to 6 inches. Having a proper branch structure is what it is well-known for.
Whether it is winged summer fruits, clusters of small flowers, twigs, or leaf stems, everything in this beautiful tree turns red during the fall season. Growing this maple tree during extremely cold weather won’t be a problem since it is a cold-hardy cultivar.
Red Sunset Maple Pros and Cons
Red Sunset Maple is a proud gardening hall of fame member due to its distinctive foliage. These trees are so popular that many gardeners prefer to plant them. Check out its pros and cons.
- This tree has fascinating foliage due to its extra-large leaves and width.
- The leaves have a star-like appearance and five lobes.
- Its red color leaves can turn orange or yellow for a short time.
- This tree has an appealing transformation from winter to spring, known as an ornamental tree,
- Though its height can be up to 50 feet, the size remains compact if it grows in a hotter climate.
- This beautiful tree can grow 1 foot each year, known as a fast-growing tree.
- Heavy, rocky, or well-drained soil has a decent tolerance level to adjust to various soil types.
- Growing this super-strong tree in even a medium sun exposure area won’t be a problem since it is well tolerated.
- This popular tree has strong branches that create a distinctive pattern, which anyone will surely admire.
- Pests like scale or Aphids can merely harm Red Sunset Maple since they have impressive endurance ability.
- Though Red Sunset Maple can easily withstand medium height, extremely hot weather will burn its leaves if there is a lack of water.
- Regularly cleaning this tree is necessary since its litter, seeds, and leaves will fall off at their respective time.
- Their roots are prone to damage if you plant them close to the sidewalk.
- Fungal issues may affect some trees, causing the leaves to become wilted.
About Autumn Blaze Maple
Autumn Blaze Maple is a decent-sized shade tree that can thrive in hot climates. It has an upright and uniform branching habit, which is excellent for gardens and yards. This maple tree grows rapidly and can be elevated up to 24 inches annually. They become mature quickly. It is ideal for a fast-growing garden.
It is a treat to watch its dazzling fall show, especially its transformation from shiny green leaves to eye-catching, reliable red fall color. This plant sprouts helicopter seeds. But seedless hybrid versions are also available. They take around 10-15 years to mature.
Autumn Blaze Maple Pros and Cons
Who would not love to glance at the huge weaving branches and lush green canopies of Autumn Blaze Maples? It is hard to take your eyes off! Let’s learn the good and bad sides of this popular maple tree.
- Autumn Blaze Maple trees can adapt to various soils as long as they have enough moisture in their roots.
- This type of tree has minimal care and is okay with irregular fertilization.
- Planting this beauty on busy streets won’t be a problem as they are pollution-tolerant.
- The Autumn Blaze Maple trees grow rapidly, up to 40 to 50, at the peak of mature age; known as one of the best landscape trees,
- Whether it is highly wet conditions or extreme drought, this low-maintenance tree can cope with various environments.
- Their leaves can transform from attractive yellow to orange, crimson, or scarlet during the fall season.
- This plant grows vibrant white fragrant flowers, especially suitable for landscaping purposes.
- Regular pruning and well-drain soil will ensure excellent protection against common pests.
- Shallow-rooted is one of the common problems with this tree, and it might be easily noticeable on your lawn.
- They have structural weakness, meaning intense storms may result in racking or losing branches.
About Redpointe Maple
Many nurseries and landscapes grow Redpointe Maple, well-known for its beauty and unique character. It has a uniform growth. This Beautiful pyramidal maple has a narrower and classic teardrop shape and grows steadily in various seasons. It doesn’t require much caring.
Maintaining an attractive aesthetic won’t be an issue as it requires less pruning than other maple trees. The beautiful tree has natural branch angles, and fresh, deep-green color leaves even during the summer season. But leaves turn into deep red in the fall.
Redpointe Maple Pros and Cons
The attractive red fall color of Redpointe Maple makes it a unique tree with a straight and dominant central leader. Here are the common yet primary pros and cons of this maple tree.
- This maple plant can easily adapt to higher pH soils without encouraging leaf chlorosis.
- It has a high endurance level, so spider mites, anthracnose, or leafhoppers won’t be able to harm it.
- Adjusting to various local climates won’t be a problem since the tree has excellent strength.
- Adverse environmental conditions will not cause any harm to its bright and sharp quality color.
- It is a more extended lifespan tree that can live more than 80 years if cared for properly.
- The maple variety requires minimal maintenance, ideal for both homeowners and Landscapers.
- Its strong branches are pretty eye-catching that look good from various angles. Shapes remain well too.
- The tree won’t grow properly on soils over-exposed to salt since it is not a salt-resistant tree.
- The tree foliage may turn yellow due to excessive pH levels in the soil.
Red Sunset Maple Vs Autumn Blaze Maple Vs Redpointe Maple: Quick Comparison Table
A major variation exists between these three maple trees. Here is a table to know the main differences between them.
|Specifications||Red Sunset Maple||Autumn Blaze Maple||Redpointe Maple|
|Botanical Name||Acer rubrum ‘Franksred’||Acer x freemanii ‘Jeffersred’||Acer rubrum ‘Frank Jr.’|
|Shape||Upright Oval||Upright Oval||Pyramidal|
|Fall Color||Red/Orange||Red||Brilliant Red|
|Foliage Color||Medium Green||Green||Dark Green|
|Mature Height & Spread||45′ & 35′||50′ & 40′||45′ & 30′|
|Soil pH||6.0-7.0||5.8 to 6.5||5.5 to 6.5|
|Plant Tolerance||Adaptable||Highly Adaptable||Adaptable|
Differences Among Red Sunset Maple, Autumn Blaze Maple, and Redpointe Maple
The ideal hardiness zone for Red Sunset Maple trees is 4, so they can easily thrive even with a minimum temperature between -30 to -20 degrees F. However, Redpointe Maple trees have a little higher temperature to survive easily. Its minimum temperatures range between -20 and -10 degrees Fahrenheit since they are ideal for growing in Zone 5. Autumn Blaze Maple trees have a lower temperature endurance level since they can easily survive in Zone 3, where the minimum average temperature is around -30°F to -40°F.
Trees come in different shapes that make them unique from others. Both Red Sunset Maple and Autumn Blaze Maple have an upright oval shape, making strong shade. However, Redpointe Maple has a pyramidal shape that helps it to stand in an upright position. Their unique decreases in wind resistance.
It is enjoyable to watch the transformation of maple leaves during the autumn season. Though each of the three maple trees changes their leaf color during the autumn, they are not the same. The leaves of Red Sunset Maple will turn into Red or Orange while Redpointe Maple gets Brilliant Red color. However, Autumn Blaze Maple will have only an average red color.
Redpointe Maple has dark green foliage, while Red Sunset Maple features Medium Green foliage. But the foliage color of Autumn Blaze Maple is green. Considering its maximum height and spread is essential whenever you plan to grow a Maple tree.
Height & Spread
Autumn Blaze Maple can be the bulkiest tree at its peak maturity among these three maple trees. Its maximum height is around 50 feet, and branches can be as wide as 40 feet. Though Red Sunset Maple and Redpointe Maple have a similar height (45 feet) in their mature age, the first can spread more than the latter.
The ideal soil pH for Red Sunset Maple is 6 to 7, which is an almost neutral condition but great for providing different nutrients. On the contrary, Autumn Blaze Maple prefers slightly acidic soil, ranging between5.8 to 6.5, which is ideal for home gardens. However, Redpointe Maple can cope with both slight and strong acidic soil since their endurance pH level is5.5 to 6.
Plant tolerance level is essential since not all plants can easily adapt to the changing environment. Compared to Red Sunset Maple and Redpointe Maple, Autumn Blaze Maple trees have a higher tolerance level. Hence, little or moderate change in water, light, carbon dioxide, and soil nutrients won’t affect the growth as much of the Autumn Blaze Maple trees as the other two trees.
Considering heat or drought tolerance levels is important if you live in a highly hot area. Though all three maple plants have a decent Drought tolerance level, Autumn Blaze Maple has better heat endurance ability than the other top options. It can take tolerate up to 38.88 C (102 F) temperature.
Which One Is Better: Red Sunset Maple Or Autumn Blaze Maple Or Redpointe Maple?
It is unwise to say any trees are bad since they are maple trees. But our preferences may vary because of their size, shape, color, and adaptability.
If you want to plant bulky maple trees, they grow above average and have strong endurance levels. Autumn Blaze Maple will be a decent option. But their branches are not highly strong. They may break during massive storms. But when you prefer a medium-sized maple tree with a solid structural pattern, Red Sunset Maple or Redpointe Maple is a great choice.
You can also read: Tiftuf Vs Tifgrand Bermuda Grass
Frequently Asked Questions
Are red sunset maple trees messy?
Red sunset maple is not considered a mess tree since they don’t seed all over the garden. Plus, their shallow root can easily adjust with the lawn.
What is the brightest red maple tree?
Autumn Blaze Maple is a bright red maple tree with vibrant red, orange, and yellow. This tree is ideal for large backyards.
Do red maples have invasive roots?
Red maples have a moderate root growth instead of invasive roots, but it is necessary to maintain a minimum of 30 feet distance from any structures while planting them.
How fast does a red sunset maple grow?
Compared to other maple trees, red sunset maple grows rapidly, anywhere from 13 inches to more than 24 inches each year.
Do Autumn Blaze maples have invasive roots?
Autumn Blaze maples follow a horizontal pattern to grow their roots. That’s why they are often prone to damage the above surface of the ground. Make sure to plant this maple tree at least 15-20 feet away from the house.
Do Autumn Blaze maple trees have helicopters?
A few types of Autumn Blaze maples grow helicopter seeds. Still, many of them are even seedless, including the hybrid versions.
Is red maple the same as Autumn Blaze?
Red maple and Autumn Blaze are the not the same. Autumn Blaze is known as a cultivar, which is mainly a hybrid creation. On the contrary, red maples can have a wide range of maple, such as scarlet maple, swamp maple, etc.
Is Autumn Blaze a hard or soft maple?
Autumn Blaze is a soft maple tree since it has the original maple traits but can grow quickly within a short time. That’s why their branches often break due to heavy strong.
Is Redpointe maple fast-growing?
Redpointe maple trees grow at a medium speed, elevating themselves to up to 12-18 inches each year. Its growth continues for up to 25 years. Then the growth will stop.
How long does a Redpointe maple live?
Redpointe maple grows at a decent speed once its leaves have become mature in the summer. Their lifespan can be up to 80 years or more based on environmental conditions.
So, which option have you chosen among red sunset maple vs autumn blaze maple vs redpointe maple? All three maple trees are great for gardens, backyards, and many other typical places. However, they have noticeable differences that make them stand out from other options. Choosing a particular maple tree requires you first to decide your garden space and the weather condition. After considering all the important factors, you can select the best option for your garden or yard.